The Millennial Dialogue: Cristina Ferreira
April 03, 2018
Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you?
To me, a millennial
is a generation of individuals that have grown up to be adaptable and fast
changing in this day in age. With the
rate of development in technology, millennials are able to learn, problem solve
and critically think using technology as a necessary tool. While researching the internet’s definition
of a millennial, I have continued to only find a negative connotation to the
term millennial, however, I do consider myself one.
What are the challenges to good communication between generations?
The challenges are
immense between generations, primarily because the methods of communication
have changed so much through the years. My grandparents rarely had access to a landline phone and used letters
or just in person communication. My parents were more familiar with phones
growing up while still having the influence of the previous generation in
understanding the importance of personal interaction. For millennials, everything
is online, over text messages, etc. Rarely does anyone pick up the phone to call someone to have a
conversation because you can multitask a lot easier if you text someone as
opposed to calling them. Ensuring fluent
communication between generations in this regard is challenging because
everyone grew up with such different means of communication. To this day, my grandparents will talk to me
for no more than five minutes on the phone and just tell me to come over instead
of talking over the phone. Whereas my aunt could talk to me on the phone for
hours at a time. Finding compromise in
communication is key between all generations.
What do you think older generations don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?
I feel like no matter how I answer this, it will come off as a generalization. My grandparents and even my parents complain all the time, “Why are you all so glued to your phone?” I feel like you hear that so often from the older generation. Unfortunately, it is so true. So frequently you’ll be sitting at dinner and look around and everyone is in front of each other, but on their cell phones. Quality time is hardly quality now. I do however think that older generations don’t realize how accessible information is with cell phones. You can connect with family, friends, loved ones, update yourself on the latest news in seconds, everything! With a few clicks on your cell phone. Every aspect of your life is in your hands, literally.
In going back to my previous point, I think older generations think that all younger generations have their phone attached to them at all times and that’s not always the case. I love the opportunity to disconnect from the online world and spend quality time with the people that matter to me the most. In my daily life, my phone is close but I try to not let it affect my personal interactions with people.
I feel like no matter how I answer this, it will come off as a generalization. My grandparents and even my parents complain all the time, “Why are you all so glued to your phone?” I feel like you hear that so often from the older generation. Unfortunately, it is so true. So frequently you’ll be sitting at dinner and look around and everyone is in front of each other, but on their cell phones. Quality time is hardly quality now. I do however think that older generations don’t realize how accessible information is with cell phones. You can connect with family, friends, loved ones, update yourself on the latest news in seconds, everything! With a few clicks on your cell phone. Every aspect of your life is in your hands, literally.
In going back to my previous point, I think older generations think that all younger generations have their phone attached to them at all times and that’s not always the case. I love the opportunity to disconnect from the online world and spend quality time with the people that matter to me the most. In my daily life, my phone is close but I try to not let it affect my personal interactions with people.
Where do you get your news?
I don’t have cable
so all of my news is from the internet.
Whether I hear it from a friend through social media or I see a clip
from the local news.
What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work?
Regardless if the
interaction is for work or home, I believe the best and most effective method
of communication is face to face. Many
times, whether it’s an email or text message, conversations can be
miscommunicated so talking in person is always best. I work with acutely ill patients and I work
with many other professionals to work towards a common goal for the patient and
we would not be able to succeed or be as successful as we have been without
face to face communication.
What are the things organizations do well or could do better when it comes to communicating with you?
For me, the best
way is probably through social media. Social media is a fantastic platform to
get information across to a younger generation and in a fast and efficient
way. I’m rarely home so coming to my
house would not be beneficial. Also, if organizations tried with mail, for me,
if the mail isn’t familiar looking to me or it doesn’t look “important”, I
usually don’t take the time to dive into it.
What is your biggest pet peeve in a group discussion/meeting with many generations?
Thus far, I haven’t
had any pet peeves developed in a group discussion or meeting with different
generations. Within work meetings,
everyone is respectful and open to listening to the views of others. A pet peeve in general is not listening to
the opinion of others. Listening is such a crucial component in communication
and I feel like it’s overlooked in many situations.
What communications advice has helped you?
Being in a world
where texting is the easiest method of communication, I was given the advice of
making the effort to meet someone in person to have conversations. I have been
on the receiving end of many conversations where you’re left dissecting the conversation,
looking for hidden meanings, etc. It’s
much easier and less stressful to meet up with the person/s to establish proper
communication.
Do you think you have good communication skills? And, why or why not?
I’ve definitely developed
my communication skills through the years. Working in health care has taught me how crucial good communication
is. Good communication in our team is
the difference between good care and excellent/exceptional care. I’d love to say that I have great
communication skills but I feel like my communication in my work life is better
than my personal life. It’s much easier
to communicate on behalf of someone, like a patient or client rather than
communicate things you want/need in your personal life (for me at least).
From a personal perspective
What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show?
The last book I
read was the Silkworm by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling. It took a while to get into but it was an
awesome book filled with mystery, thrill and humour. I rotate through a ton of Netflix shows
depending on how I’m feeling but my favourite has to be Gilmore Girls.
What do you for extracurricular activities?
I try and stay
active by going to the gym, running or hiking a few times a week. It’s hard not
to run around the seawall on a gorgeous sunny day! Otherwise, I’m usually
catching up with family and/or friends on my days off.
Who do you admire for the way they live their life?
Without a doubt, I
would have to say my sister. She’s ten
years younger than I am but she has the best attitude on life. She lives her life in such a carefree way,
which I think is beautiful! I remember being her age and always caring so much
about what others thought and even now I struggle with that and she just does
what makes her happy. She’s honest,
loyal and caring. It’s truly inspiring!
What are the most important social issues to you?
Women’s rights and
equality among all genders. It’s been all over the media and I’ve also had some
impactful personal experiences that have made these issues in the forefront of
my mind. I can’t believe we’re still in
a time where equality isn’t just a given!
What technology do you like best for communicating?
As much as I hate
to admit this, it would have to be texting or calling. My phone is usually on me or close by me so
it’s the fastest way to reach me.
How do you feel about the education system?
Not great… There’s
so many aspects I can comment on. The
class sizes are too big and in turn the kids with learning disabilities fall on
the back burner and never catch up to the point of where they’re supposed to be
despite having learning plans, extra help, etc. There is so much pressure on
one teacher to teach kids the curriculum and I’m sure parents don’t just want a
teacher who will do the bare minimum in the classroom. They also want a role model and that’s tough
to do with 30+ kids. My aunt works in the Catholic school system and honestly,
that system isn’t any better than the public school system. Yes, parents pay for tuition but the class sizes
are still increasing and the teacher’s aids in the classroom aren’t growing
with it.
What is something you want to learn more about?
I want to learn
more about other cultures, different countries in the world and what their
daily lives look like. I also want to
learn how to play an instrument, I’m in the process of learning how to play
guitar at the moment!
What bores you?
Routine. I can
appreciate that some people need structure and a routine especially for
families but living on my own and having the ability to do activities
spontaneously is what makes life interesting for me.
Where do you volunteer your time and money?
I invest my time
into my relationships. Building closer bonds with my family and friends is
everything to me and those people are my biggest supporters. This year, I would
love to start volunteering for the BC SPCA where I adopted my cat!
What makes you laugh?
I feel like most
people would say that I laugh at everything. Which is absolutely true so I
really can’t pinpoint it. The people who I surround myself with are the
funniest people around (may be a little biased).
_____
I owe Cristina a huge debt of gratitude. This millennial looked after my dear friend, Nancy Delwel-Hanna, as she went through an extremely difficult time with leukemia. Everything that could go wrong did, especially after her bone marrow transplant. But, it was nurses (and there were many) like Cristina that made it bearable. She is a great communicator in a job few could handle. She was professional but warm and loving at all times. To be a calm influence during such dire and awful moments make her a communicator extraordinaire in my books.
The little things can be so meaningful when you are seriously ill. Nancy would often struggle to find her slippers that would have unintentionally been kicked under the hospital bed. Cristina was the nurse who would always place her slippers neatly below the bed so they were easy to slip into. So thoughtful in a busy and traumatic environment.
Sadly, Nancy did not make it. She died this past Saturday. But, she was the one who suggested I profile Cristina. So, in a way, this is also a tribute to my friend. Nancy was always thinking of others and generously shining the spotlight and sharing kudos where due. During the 10 months of her illness, she was the epitome of gracious and never uttered an unkind word. Even when angry and she had plenty of reasons to be pissed, she was firm but polite. I learned so much from her. I miss her so.


1 comments
I'm so sorry you lost your friend. And so grateful that we have people like Cristina in our world. Hugs.
ReplyDelete