The Millennial Dialogue: Damian Lee

April 09, 2018


Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you? 

I would not say I am a millennial. I think of a millennial as someone younger and someone who is really big into social media and avocado toast :) 

What are the challenges to good communication between generations? 

I think lingo is one thing, but I think sometimes respect comes into it. Does one generation respects the other enough to really listen? Eg. Younger people may think older people don’t know about the “younger” things. And elders may dismiss youth as being too inexperienced. In either case, they could be missing out on some important messages.  

What do you think older generations today don't understand about younger generations? What stereotype do you not like and why?

That environments are not the same as when they were the same age. Ex. housing. Also, that there are changing trends (less marriages, less children, quicker turnover in jobs/careers.) 

That the younger generation is lazier and entitled in general. But also the stereotype that the older generation had it so easy. My parents are immigrants and they worked extremely hard to get to Canada, back in China they crammed 5 children into one bedroom. 

Where do you get your news? 

Google, Reddit, Mashable

What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work and home? 

I prefer email so I have a record for later (terrible memory) and can also reply when I’m on the skytrain or bus.

From a personal perspective

What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show? 

This is Us

What technology do you like best for communicating? 

Email

How do you feel about the education system? 

Time to move into digital textbooks 

What is something you want to learn more about? 

AI

Are there any other thoughts you would like to share about communicating between generations? 

Learn more about their story and really put yourself in their shoes.


_____



Damian's comment about not self-identifying as a millennial as he feels that is someone younger than him, got me questioning the age bracket we selected for this series. There are so many opinions about what the range should be. At 35 is he too old for this series? Then, I found this study from Pew Research which actually says the range should go up to 37. And, why do we even want to categorize people by generation as age cutoffs are not an exact science and there is often debate about the age spans? The author in the study states in conclusion, "We’ll keep in mind that generations are a lens through which to understand societal change, rather than a label with which to oversimplify differences between groups". 

Exactly, we don't want to oversimplify the differences only seek to understand.

And, that is what this blog is about - seeking to understand. Damian's final point about learning more about someone's story and putting yourself in their shoes is what this is all about. My boomer friends are emailing to tell me this series is having an impact. They are getting to know some millennials and they like what they see and hear. The generalizations are dissipating. The dialogue about how the millennial they know is an exception is changing - perhaps there are many more millennials who don't fit the myths.

And, there are more to come.

You Might Also Like

0 comments