The Millennial Dialogue: Amanda Parry

April 23, 2018


Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you? 

I know I fall within the age bracket of a millennial. In terms of meaning, I think the term has recently been used fuel a negative commentary about my generation. While I can understand that each generation will be guided by the socio-cultural context in which they are born, every individual is different.

What are the challenges to good communication between generations? 

I think the biggest obstacle is the perception of major differences between generations which can make it hard to find common ground. People tend to focus on differences instead of similarities and negatives instead of positives. 

People often criticize millennials for being glued to their phones and I definitely see that habit among people my age, however, this isn’t the first time we’re seeing society affected by innovations in communication and technology (telephone, radio, computer, etc.). 

So, I guess what I’m saying is: none of this is new. There have always been people from the older generation who are resistant to changing technologies and critical of the affects these mediums have on youth. I think a lot of the criticisms of the younger generations stem from a lack of understanding or familiarity with what it means to exist and grow up during that time with access to those communication tools. 

What do you think older generations today don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?

Older generations seem to forget that they faced similar criticisms. There appear to always be sweeping generalizations of entire generations, and I’m sure older generations experienced something similar as they entered the workforce or became more adept to emerging technologies. 

On the topic of stereotypes: millennials are accused of being lazy, entitled, and disloyal to their companies. On the flip side, millennials are also believed to pursue meaningful work over stability/pensions and are on track to be the most educated generation in history. All whilst competing against their highly educated peers, bogged down with student debt in vastly unaffordable cities. Again, while there may be truth to some of these stereotypes, every individual is different and is experiencing a different version of what it’s like to be a millennial today. 

I think people need to stop categorizing and criticizing and start working to find common values and similarities to communicate effectively and achieve shared goals. We’re all adapting and shifting as new communication technologies emerge. Our ways of communicating will continue to change and knowledge gaps will continue to exist between the younger and older generations.  

Where do you get your news? 

My position involves media monitoring, so I am exposed to a lot of content. I try to gather my information from as many sources as possible. I like the Tyee, BBC, social media for fun stuff, and I love chatting with my roommate who always has interesting information about the environment and wildlife from her professors at UVIC.

What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work? 

I will always choose face to face communication over other methods. Facial expressions, body language, and tone of voice are all lost over text or email. I’m happy to text or email when it’s a basic exchange of information, but when something is serious or important to me I feel much more at ease having a collaborative conversation in person. That way, you have the full attention of the person you’re chatting to and vice versa. 

What are the things organizations (charities, political groups, governments, schools, etc.) do well or could do better when communicating with you?

Using social media to communicate with the public is an essential function of my job and I think it’s a great way for organizations/businesses to reach their intended audience in a non-invasive, conversational and personal way. With the help of my boss and our team I’ve learned how important it is to be human on social media and to never lose your personality on there while posting on behalf of a business/organization (but still remembering to maintain a professional tone). 

What is your biggest pet peeve when in a group discussion/meeting with many generations? 

In a professional setting, I’ve been really lucky because all my colleagues respect one another regardless of age, position, gender, etc. I’ve never felt the challenges I face at work (or in a meeting) are due to generational differences. In my personal life, I have struggled to be taken seriously because of my age and it’s really frustrating for me. I respect the wisdom and knowledge that my elders bring to the conversation and I feel it’s only fair to be offered the same respect back. I might not have as many years or experiences under my belt but shutting someone down because of their age is unproductive. 

What communications advice has helped you?

For written work: Use plain language as much as possible and keep it simple. In general: Never assume anyone’s intent and give people the benefit of the doubt. 

From a personal perspective

What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show? 

I recently read American War by Omar El Akkad and it was heartbreaking and wonderful all at the same time. It takes place in a dystopian future and you can’t help but feel an eerie foreshadowing about oil, the environment, and the current political situation south of the border. Favourite Netflix shows right now are This Is Us and Arrested Development.

What do you do for extracurricular activities? 

I love being outside. I play soccer in a co-ed league, snorkel, scuba dive, hike, do yoga occasionally and run around at the beach with my dogs. 

Who do you admire for the way they live their life? 

I admire people who are brave enough to be vulnerable (both personally and professionally). My boss recently introduced me to Brene Brown and her research on shame and vulnerability and it’s been a game changer!

What is something you want to learn more about? 

Blockchain technology… I heard about it for the first time a couple days ago and I won’t embarrass myself by trying to explain it because I will 100% butcher it. It sounds like it could change the way our data is used and distributed (another peer-to-peer type network).

What makes you laugh? 

I laugh a lot. Self deprecation really cracks me up, especially when it comes from someone unexpected. To me, people who can make fun of themselves are the absolute funniest. If you can lightheartedly poke fun at yourself and disarm everyone around you while doing it, you’re a legend in my books. 

_____

First of all, Amanda gets the "Most Delightful Photo" award in this series - how adorable are those dogs?! Next, Amanda hits the nail on the head with her comment about how people tend to focus on differences instead of similarities and negatives instead of positives. I don't think I had many preconceived ideas about millennials when we started this series but I certainly see similarities among the generations. We all want to be respected for our ideas and contributions. We all want effective ways to connect. We all to be seen as individuals, no matter where we fall in the generational spectrum. 

I have lamented the lack of "crowd watching" of TV shows where we all waited to see what would happen in the next episode of Roots or find out if OJ was guilty. I loved the water cooler chatter and opinions about how shows changed our perspectives. Then, I realized many of us are watching the same shows just not at the same time. This is Us has come up fairly consistently and seems to have spanned all age groups. With some effort, we can still talk about how we feel about the characters and events. It could open up more discussions around ethics, race relations and our life concerns. Just a thought.

You Might Also Like

0 comments