The Millennial Dialogue: Laura Tang

April 30, 2018


Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you? 

As a marketer, I’m often amazed at the obsession surrounding millennials while also being extremely turned off by all the negative connotation of the word. I have read countless articles depicting the millennial generation being lazy, entitled and selfish. Therefore, I feel that the term millennial does not represent me, or my friends. The people I surround myself with (similar age bracket) are some of the most hardworking, humbling and selfless people I know.

What are the challenges to good communication between generations? 

“Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.” – John Kenneth Galbraith

Not embracing and acknowledging generational differences such as different set of values, attitudes and communication styles.


What do you think older generations don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why? 

I meet and hear stories about different young people all around the world who are doing incredible things to positively change their community. A perfect example is the American student-led #NeverAgain and #EnoughIsEnough movement protest that is demanding legislative action for tighter regulations to prevent gun violence. These are teens who are not even old enough to vote in their country who are leading the gun control conversation. Young people have the power to change the world but we cannot do it all by ourselves. We need guidance, help and support from our older generation.

Where do you get your news? 

Social media (Facebook, Twitter and YouTube). 

What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work? 

Work: Meetings or if it’s something super simple than an email is way more efficient.

Home: Face to face or WhatsApp.


What is your biggest pet peeve in a group discussion/meeting with many generations?

Interrupters and know-it-alls. 

What communications advice has helped you?

"Listen with the intent to understand, not the intent to reply." – Stephen R. Covey. 

Another solid communication advice by Covey is “seek first to understand, then to be understood”.

Do you think you have good communication skills? And, why or why not? 

I’m constantly looking for opportunities and ways to improve my communication skills. I believe the only way to get better at a skill is to put yourself out there in new and sometimes uncomfortable, or awkward situations.

From a personal perspective

What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show? 

I ugly cry to “This is Us” on Netflix. I haven’t been this deeply moved to tears (sometimes left sobbing) by a script filled with beautiful flawed characters. I love the human emotion and connections.

What do you for extracurricular activities? 

I love performing arts such as singing, dancing and acting. For my birthday last year, my friends were so sweet and surprised me with a recording session to record one of my favourite songs by UK singer, Jessie Ware, “Say You Love Me” (Click here for the recording)

Who do you admire for the way they live their life? 

I have so much love, admiration, and respect for my parents. Getting to this stage in my life has taken a lot of work, but it is nothing compared to how they worked and sacrificed for my sisters and I.

What are the most important social issues to you?

Bullying and mental health issues. 

What technology do you like best for communicating? 

iPhone (WhatsApp/ text messaging).

What is something you want to learn more about?

I’ve been thinking a lot about learning American Sign Language (ASL).


What bores you? 

Traffic. 

What makes you laugh? 

My hilarious boyfriend, my witty 8 year-old nephew, and my parent’s new puppy.

_____

I am so glad Laura brought up the US gun violence movement spearheaded by the teens. Their energy and enthusiasm gives me hope. And, her comment about needing support and guidance from older generations is a valid point. Most of my generation had passion for topics that led us to march, protest and proclaim our concerns with elected officials. Some of us lose our passion or get worn down by promises made and broken. Along with the millennials, I feel energized by the next generations. The more I hear about activist CEO's and online movements that result in changes, I feel motivated to, once again, get more involved. Thanks Laura. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments