Number 17 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Hans Rosling

April 29, 2013


Presenting interesting statistics sound like an oxymoron unless you have seen Hans Rosling. Imagine if I said a statistician and Professor of International Health with the Karolinska Institute was about to share 200 data points from over 200 countries with you. Kill me now, would be the typical reaction. See how he shares those stats in under three minutes: 



Most of my career has involved working with academics and scientists. Since the late 70’s I have been trying to help smart people share their voluminous data in a way that is compelling…and short. The job of taking their deep knowledge and trying to condense it into a 12 second news clip has been onerous. 

Hans has obviously figured out a way, with technology, to connect to his audience fast and effectively. Turning countries into bubbles and having them bounce around the screen makes his vast amount of information come to life.

Props and technology can be helpful tools to make your story compelling. Hans uses Ikea boxes in another talk to communicate his ideas and it does not quite have the same appeal.



Mr. Rosling is the master of making numbers come to life. I give him full marks for trying different visuals to get his point across. For the record, I would prefer he sticks to the digital presentations but hey, A for effort in experimenting with things like washing machines and rocks. The rocks video is the shortest TED talk ever given – 51 seconds.

You Might Also Like

0 comments