Number 13 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Krista Thompson
April 01, 2013
Wikipedia
describes passion is an intense emotion, compelling feeling,
enthusiasm, or desire for something. When I think of Krista Thompson, Executive Director, Covenant House Vancouver, passionate
is the word that describes her to a tee. Passion
is a key ingredient in great communicators. Krista
is as comfortable talking with street kids as she is with politicians and
wealthy philanthropists. She compels people to support her cause. Even when the
task seems daunting, she inspires you with her conviction that change is
possible. This
woman personifies caring.
Everything about Krista Thompson makes you want to support her and her
kids.
How would you describe yourself as a child?
Somewhere between shy and outgoing.
Books (which ones?) - too many to name
School (which instructor?) - drama class helped with speaking to audiences
Observing others (who?) - Virginia Greene, Norman Stowe, Bill Clinton and my step father
What are the traits of a good communicator?
Clear, measured tone, uses language well and succinctly, makes eye contact, listens, pays attention to what the audience wants to know before you just tell them what you want them to hear, uses stories and personal experience to illustrate their points, uses humour when it comes naturally.
What is your biggest communication related pet peeve?
The repeated use of the word "like".
Who do you think is a famous compelling communicator? And, what makes him or her compelling?
Bill Clinton, speaks as if you and he are the only people in the room, warmth of tone, natural body language. He uses language that is easy to understand and he presents his ideas in a logical way that can be understood by everyone.
Please share a communication story (good or bad) that will be beneficial for others.
My eyes often well up with tears and I get choked when I speak about the young people I meet at Covenant House. Their courage and stories are incredibly moving. One of my board members once said to me that some people are uncomfortable with me showing emotion and perhaps I should try and tone myself down a little. Foolishly, I tried, it wasn't possible. So I asked my friend Virginia for some advice about how to overcome the crying thing. She said, don't try. It would be pretending and people will know. She said that no matter what, just keep talking through the tears and you will get your message across. So now, whenever I feel myself start to tear up, I just allow myself the courage to be authentic with my audience and JUST KEEP TALKING.
Krista Thompson is a mother, a friend, a sister and runs Covenant House -- a program for homeless youth in Vancouver.

0 comments