Number 16 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Ruth Atherley
April 22, 2013
Even though Ruth Atherley describes herself as an introvert she is highly outgoing and adventurous. She regularly does video messages on her blog and posts thoughtful messages on a regular basis. I have witnessed her do a solo polar bear dive sans the typical New Year's Day crowd in a business suit... and without the consumption of alcohol. She compels others with positive words of inspiration.
How would you describe yourself as a child?
Somewhere between shy and outgoing. I am a "highly sensitive person"/"introvert" .... who likes most people in small doses and a few people :) a lot.
What helped you become a good communicator?
Books (Which ones?) - Thrive, anything by Seth Godin, Making Your Way in A Wild, Wild New World
School (Which instructor?) - Jerry Bloch, Grade 13 American History :)
Mentors, family, friends, co-workers - Della Smith, Barbara Wickens (Maclean's), Art Vertlieb, Melina Buckley
Observing others (Who?) - Della Smith, Christine Kane, CJ Craig (Character on the West Wing), Barrack Obama, Oprah, Anderson Cooper, Candy Crowley
School (Which instructor?) - Jerry Bloch, Grade 13 American History :)
Mentors, family, friends, co-workers - Della Smith, Barbara Wickens (Maclean's), Art Vertlieb, Melina Buckley
Observing others (Who?) - Della Smith, Christine Kane, CJ Craig (Character on the West Wing), Barrack Obama, Oprah, Anderson Cooper, Candy Crowley
What are the traits of a good communicator?
Responsive, concise and precise, authentic and transparent.
What tip or advice would you give to help people become better communicators?
The most important of a communicator's toolkit is the ability to actually listen.
Who do you think is a famous compelling communicator? And, what makes them compelling?
Anderson Cooper. He does his research, he asks the tough questions when he needs to and the quirky ones (which are the most interesting) when he wants to. He comes across as authentic, considerate and smart. He finds a way either intellectually or emotionally to connect with his interview subjects and, as importantly, his audience.
Please share a communications story that will be beneficial for others.
During a particularly challenging time when I was dealing with an issue and working 20 hour days, I lost my car in a parking lot. After wandering around this lot for half an hour, realizing I was going to miss the last ferry home, exhaustion and frustration overwhelmed me. At that moment, had a journalist come up to me with a camera and asked me about the issue, I am not sure what I might have said. The next morning - after checking into a hotel -- I sat in my car and thought about how upset I had been the night before and how easy it would have been to "lose it" had I been pushed by an aggressive journalist. I realize that I needed to become more appreciative of the impact of things like stress, sleepless nights and overwrought emotions when helping my clients deal with an issue or crisis. It isn't just about helping clients to do the right thing, it's about understanding how to help them do the right thing during incredibly emotional and trying times. In that moment, my understanding of how and why we communicate shifted completely. I am a far better communicator in both my personal and professional life thanks to a poorly marked parking lot.
Ruth Atherley describes herself as a communications professional with a focus on 'integrated' communications. This includes social media, brand journalism and traditional communications.

0 comments