Number 18 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Rick Mercer

May 06, 2013

I find this man so compelling I have dreamt about him. Yes, that kind of dream. A bit disheartening since he has made it clear he is not interested in women that way.

As the ever-popular host of the CBC Television show, the Rick Mercer Report, he is famous for his “rants”. The rants are mostly political. However, the one he did for the It Gets Better anti-bullying campaign was personal and one of the best, IMHO: 




As much as I love the rants, where Mr. Mercer shows his greatest talent for connecting with people is in his opening segments. He regularly participates in local community events and activities throughout the country. Most of them make me laugh out loud. Aside from that incredible sense of humour, here are some other attributes that get Rick Mercer on my list of compelling communicators:

He laughs at himself. Self-deprecatory humour, particularly from someone high profile and talented creates a sense of ease. Whether he is donning tights with the National Ballet….





or flyboarding in Alberta...




or…at a National Dog Show... 




Showing vulnerability by being willing to open up to a new experience and perhaps, look a little silly can be a powerful connector.

Also, notice how he looks directly into the eyes of everyone he meets.

I would add him to the list of special Canadians recognized by K.D. Lang. When K.D. was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, she paid tribute to Canadian singers that make our country so unique – we need to expand beyond singers and add our favourite quirky Canadians to the list. Here is an excerpt from that speech:

K.D. Lang

"I think the fact that I'm standing here receiving this award says more about Canada than it does about me, because only in Canada could there be such a freak as k.d. lang receiving this award. Only in Canada could there be people like Stompin' Tom Connors and Rita MacNeil. So I am here to tell you, my friends and my countrymen, that it is OK to be you. It is OK to let your freak flags fly. Embrace the quirkmeister that is inside all of us."

Thanks K.D. for making “quirkiness” positive. And, thanks Rick Mercer for connecting us with your compelling stories.

You Might Also Like

0 comments