The Millennial Dialogue

January 01, 2018


I don't subscribe to generalizing generations. The ongoing discussion about millennials in the workplace seems chock full of stereotypes that don't jive with what I see.

I have heard it all... the teacups, so fragile they cannot handle criticism... the crispies, so burnt out from all their extracurricular activities and so brittle, they cannot enjoy anything. They don't understand how to work hard, are lazy and have unrealistic expectations. They feel entitled to start at the top.

My experiment, via this blog, is to interview 52 millennials and see how many of those stereotypes hold true, if any. I am hoping to bust some millennial myths. There is some debate on what years qualify you to be labeled a millennial. For the sake of this blog, I will go with early 1980s to 1995ish. That means I will interview people between the ages of 20 and 35. A large number of my readers would be classified as boomers and are probably the people most impacted by millennials.

In the interest of improving communication in the workplace, my interviews will focus on that environment.

I credit Natalie Meixner, a friend and CEO of the Richmond Hospital Foundation, for this blog theme. She asked what I was planning for 2018 and I had nothing firm so she offered up this idea. Brilliant, thanks Natalie!

Aside from my own contacts, I am looking for millennials to interview. The formats for the interviews will be open. We can text, email, Skype or do them over the phone. Interviewees will need to provide a photo and short bio. Please let me know if you know a millennial I can interview or if you are a millennial willing to participate.

Happy New Year. To a 2018 filled with learning.

You Might Also Like

0 comments