The Millennial Dialogue: Josh Williams

January 08, 2018


Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you? 

Yes, I would describe myself as a millennial. Millennial describes someone who was born in the 80’s-90’s.

Do you feel like the workplace relates well to people of your generation? If not, what would make it better? 

I feel like it depends on the industry. Some industries like tech seem biased towards millennials and others like manufacturing or education seem biased against.

What would make it better? I think that companies that are able to tell an interesting story around their brand and acknowledge good work when it occurs will be able to inspire and retain quality millennials.

What are the challenges to good communication between generations? 

Challenges that I have encountered include being set in old ways of doing things, being risk adverse, threatened job security, being able to take direction from younger team members. Also, avoidance of direct person to person communication, a cultural fear of offending people (mostly in office environments, not so much an issue in the trades).

Where do you get your news? 

I almost exclusively access the news through my phone. CBC, Global News, The Globe and Mail through the internet, Mashable through the app and various personalities through YouTube.

What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work? 

The best communication is done face to face. However, because of practicality email, phone, meetings and video conference are helpful tools to efficiently tackle projects with teams and customers.

What do you think older generations today don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?

Being acknowledged for good work goes a long way and is worth more than any bonus. 

The teacup stereotype is my favorite one because it is so far from myself and the millennials I work with, it can also be a counterproductive one. I think is has the possibility to shut down communication because people don’t want to offend. I also don’t agree with the stereotypes of millennials being lazy or not focused, there are lazy people in any generation and also those who are willing to work their @$$ off.

What are the things organizations do well or could do better when it comes to working with you? 

A lot of the places I have worked at have had a large amount of flexibility in the role with the projects and tasks that I have taken on. This isn’t always an option, but it can be pretty effective way of keeping people super engaged with their work. 

There is a Stephen Covey book called Speed of Trust that my boss is a firm believer in. It talks about the speed and efficiency that is gained from creating a culture of trust in the workplace. Less time is spent on reporting and managing, and more time is spent on value add activities. It has helped contribute to a pretty awesome culture where I am at and I see it as a pain point at a lot of other organizations. 

What is your biggest pet peeve in meetings? 

When there is no agenda and outcomes are not determined in advance.

What communications advice has helped you?
  
The best communication advice I got just before I got married… Never assume anything, always communicate and you might just live a long and happy life.

Other honorable mentions are… communicate to people in person or by phone to have the clearest communication. Usually a breakdown in communication results from miscommunication usually on the part of someone not seeing both sides or the whole picture. 

Do you think you have good communication skills? And, why or why not? 

I would like to think so, but I have some work to do. I think strong communication can come in part from having strong confidence in what you are communicating. This is developed from having experience, being in my early stage career I have some way to go.

From a personal perspective

What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show? 


Books: How to Win Friends and Influence People, The Everything Store, Elon Musk, Rubicon, Chaos Monkeys.

TV Shows: Game of Thrones, West World, This is Us

What do you do outside of work? 

Our company has a Fitbit challenge at the moment so anything to get my steps up!

Soccer, Rugby, I started yoga recently and have been working on my celestial warriors. I have been doing my MBA online. I am the co-organizer for a TEDx event in my city so helping fund raise, build things, meet potential speakers. I host games night fairly regularly. I am an amateur videographer, so I like filming stuff and playing around on adobe suite. 

Who do you admire for the way they live their life? 

My parents are the hardest working people I know and have such a strong passion to help those around them.

Elon Musk has such an interesting biography, I love his enthusiasm and ability to become an expert at anything he sets his mind to. One day I hope to be able to meet him.

What are the most important social issues to you?

Drug abuse and homelessness.

What technology do you like best for communicating?

Snapchat or phone calls.

How do you feel about the education system? 

The state of educational access, quality of educators and curriculum resources has never been better. However due to a shortage of funds and teachers in the province I think there are many aspects of education that seem to be inefficient at the moment. 

Being a marketer, I think education should have better marketing. It is one of the most exciting and transformational experiences, but it doesn’t get seen that way by many students and parents. 

What is something you want to learn more about? 

I would love to learn more about chemistry, coding and algorithms. 

They form the basis of so much of everyday life and allow you to build some interesting things.

What bores you? 

The traffic commute in the Greater Vancouver area.

Where do you volunteer your time and money? 

Drug rehabilitation, the food bank, HOPE International and at church.

What makes you laugh? 

My dog with funny outfits, wife, coworkers, friends and the most important millennial source of humour… Memes.

Are there any other thoughts you would like to share about communicating between generations? 

If you’re a millennial, listen more often. If you’re of older generations then you should probably ask about snapchat filters, it will change your life. 
_____


Josh’s comment about recognition struck a chord with me. “Being acknowledged for good work goes a long way and is worth more than any bonus.” Recognition has consistently ranked high in employee studies but, perhaps, it is even more important with millennials. Click here to check out an article in Fortune magazine that confirms this point. 

And, he also clearly dispels the “lazy” myth about millennials.

You Might Also Like

0 comments