The Millennial Dialogue: Trevor Doré
January 22, 2018
Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you?
Yes, mainly because I have been labelled
as a millennial. Generally, I think the label is problematic. To me millennial
is a generational category, like Boomer. It’s a category, a box, a way to
identify someone to help simplify interaction.
Do you feel like the workplace relates well to people of your generation? If not, what would make it better?
Mentorship is missing. I think people of
my generation are looking for opportunities. Opportunities for good work life
balance and to work toward something bigger than a bottom line, but more
importantly, opportunities to learn. In my experience, when older generations leave
the workplace, they take all of their knowledge and experience with them. Teach
me!
What are the challenges to good communication between generations?
I have
to admit, the first time I heard reference to “the cone of silence,” I was a
little lost. There are certain popular culture references that get lost between
generations (this goes both ways). I get that references can help soften
communication and make it more casual, but maybe not the best choice when
trying to communicate “what I am about to say is confidential.”
Where do you get your news?
CBC
radio first and foremost, CNN, New York Times, Mashable, podcasts, and the local
newspaper.
What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work?
Face-to-face for communicating care and
compassion with residents. It’s also the most effective for creating
relationships with co-workers. In terms of environments, workplaces with
open-door policies and defined roles and responsibilities are most effective in
my experience.
What do you think older generations today don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?
The stereotype of the entitled
generation. I think we are really just looking for the same opportunities that
were available to our parent’s generation. Despite the stereotype, I think
millennials are willing to work hard to achieve the things they want in life.
What is your biggest pet peeve in meetings?
Meetings without a clearly defined outcome,
end goal or action items.
What communications advice has helped you?
CCO (Compassion, Conviction, Optimism).
This one is a communication gem that has helped me communicate through conflict
both at work and at home. (Thanks Della!)
Do you think you have good communication skills? And, why or why not?
Some skills are definitely sharper than
others. Like
any skill, communication skills improve with time, experience and practice. I
have a hard time communicating emotion, something that I am working on.
From a personal perspective
What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show?
Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and Dave
Evans. Netlix is killing it right now with the original
content – Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Narcos, and the list goes on.
What do you do outside of work?
Spend time with family, run and bike. My
dad and I have recently started exploring the world of fly fishing.
Who do you admire for the way they live their life?
Tom Power from CBC’s Q. Kind of a funny
pick, because I am not really sure how he lives his life, but it’s obvious that
he has pursued his passion and it has worked out for him. He’s good what he
does and gets to interview and connect with amazing people everyday.
What are the most important social issues to you?
Having done a degree in Environmental
Geography, it’s hard not to argue that the climate problem is the most pressing
social issue of our time. On a more local scale, the affordable housing
situation in Vancouver is out of control.
What technology do you like best for communicating?
In terms of utility and convenience,
texting. It really changed the communication game – how far we have come since
T9 and MSN messenger.
How do you feel about the education system?
How much time do you have… I think grade
school is more of an exercise in socialization and survival than anything else.
I enjoyed my time at university, but definitely paid for it. And, I am still
struggling with the concept that a Master’s Degree is necessary to advance in
the workplace.
What is something you want to learn more about?
At work, I am happy learning about the
policies and processes that make a municipal government tick- still lots to
learn. Outside of work, I am learning about motorcycle maintenance, home
brewing and reading an interesting book on the history of race and race
relations.
What bores you?
Not much, I think you can find something
interesting in just about everything. That said, sitting in traffic kills me.
Where do you volunteer your time and money?
I have volunteered quite extensively in
the past with a couple of stream keepers groups and most recently with the Vancouver
Food Bank. I donate to the annual United Way campaign at work.
What makes you laugh?
My wife – she’s the weirdest most
hilarious person I have ever met.
_____
What
Trevor said about mentorship really resonated with me. I lament the number of
times I attend corporate events and rarely see younger people in the audience.
Mentorship is beyond teaching people workplace skills; it is about sharing
learning environments and networking opportunities. On the flip side, I have
learned so much from those younger than me. For example, when I saw amazing
PPTs on Slideshare, I found the young man who created them and hired him
to teach me his process via Skype. Sharing knowledge is powerful.
Also, had
to laugh at what makes Trevor laugh – his wife. I happen to work with her
and she makes me laugh too. She also mentors me in many ways!


0 comments