Number 18 of 52 Lifelong Communication Lessons: Are you a victim of confirmation bias?
May 04, 2015![]() |
| Pierre Trudeau wearing his black cape to the Grey Cup. |
The year was 1968.
Martin Luther King is assassinated and The Beatles release their White Album. In Canadian politics, Pierre Trudeau is elected Prime Minister and Senator Tom Reid dies... he was my Great Uncle.
It was my second year at a new school. I was 13 going on 18. My interest in boys was growing and I was exploring all that young love entails. That meant I was more interested in my appearance than my schoolwork. I was having way too much fun to be concerned with my grades. Mrs. Cruikshank, the librarian, took notice of my lack of attention and disregard for class studies. I had neglected to read the recommended book. She called me out on it...in front of the entire class. "If you think you are going to make it on your looks, you are sorely mistaken" stated the matronly looking Mrs. C. Huh? Was she calling me dumb? I was choked. I was a reader, just not the stuff she wanted me to read. And, it hurt to think someone would see me as vain and shallow.
I worked hard to dispel any image of cerebral ineptitude but I felt like Mrs. C always saw me as a ditzy featherbrain. I always saw her as particularly harsh. That is called confirmation bias. Once you think of a person one way, it is hard to see him or her in a new light.
I came across Mrs. C about ten years later. I was working at the Heart Foundation, attending a volunteer gathering in Sechelt. Someone else was organizing the meeting and I was tagging along to present information about the organization. I just about keeled over when we arrived at Mrs. Cruikshank's home. I could tell she was surprised to see me in a respectable job. We were hardly in the door before she asked me to serve the tea. Whoa. I thought she was just putting me to work like a servant. My workmate, sensing my displeasure, whispered in my ear that it was an honour to be asked. After a highly enjoyable afternoon, I could see Mrs. C was a delightful woman who had many good friends and was a stellar community minded volunteer. I think she was equally impressed after I made my presentation.
We had effectively rid ourselves of confirmation bias.
Communication Lessons:
- To turn around confirmation bias you have to focus on seeing good intentions first and not buy into preconceived negative ideas.
- People can change their perspectives.
- Sometimes getting called out can drive good behaviour change.
Fast Forward to 2015:
I recently saw Chip Heath speak about confirmation bias at the Art of Marketing Conference in Vancouver. The concept is explained in depth in his new book, which is co-authored with his brother Dan, Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work. It is a great read for anybody interested in effective decision making.

0 comments