Reflection 51 of 52: Can words stay with you forever?
December 22, 2014
I
had a text message from a long time friend last week telling me he is in
palliative care. As sad as I am, I marveled at his creative words. At one point
he says he feels like "shit on a new Vibram sole". That is a brand of high
performance rubber sole you might find on a work boot. So clever. Even during
this most difficult time, the man has the ability to charm and cut to the chase
with his use of language. We had to look up the meaning of Vibram sole and that
made his prose all the more interesting.
As
we wrap up the year, his message made me reflect on how we communicate at all stages
of our lives. This man is a wordsmith extraordinaire. He has often given me
pause for thought and sent me to a dictionary more than once.
I
am keeping all his emails to treasure in the days ahead. Reflecting on our
friendship and his witty words always make me smile.
We
are all going to face our mortality, most of us just don’t know when. I
sincerely hope for the cleverness and sense of humour of my pal.
He
has also given me a great visual reminder. I will now pay attention to Vibram
soles. Forever and a day his words will stick and make me think of another kind
of wonderful soul.

0 comments