Reflection 49 of 52: Is there an ideal way to consult?

December 08, 2014


Aside from the fact I live in Burnaby, I am keenly interested in the Kinder Morgan pipeline project from a communications perspective.

The recent full page ads adorned with the big, bold headline "Let's talk" got my attention. They promoted a telephone town hall which prompted me to check out the dialogue on their website. You can go back and listen to the previous town hall discussions.

There is a high expectation around consultation today, no matter what the topic. The Kinder Morgan President says he has talked directly to thousands of people. They claim over 1,600 people registered to participate in the National Energy Board process. They also claim to have reached agreements with 18 Aboriginal groups to date. They say they have been consulting for two years. Their corporate ad campaign is filling the airwaves and print publications with promises of more opportunities to talk.

The media have been covering the story. Groups and individuals come out of the woodwork to stress concerns and even present alternatives. Protests, arrests and lawsuits have been top news for weeks. And still, people say their concerns have not been heard.

So is it just fundamental differences of opinion and ideologies or is it a need for better ways to consult? I am not sure I know the answer. What I expect is that most people don't attend live town halls or even easy-access ones on the telephone. Any town hall I have attended over the years seemed to be mostly comprised of the super angry or vehemently opposed and not too many there just to listen or find out new information.

So how does a company or public sector group engage in a meaningful dialogue today? What does that look like for most people? There is more and more effort going into getting feedback via surveys or vehicles such as PlaceSpeak.  In the last civic election, community groups expressed their frustration in Vancouver over urban planning consultation processes and are demanding more dialogue. Politicians talk about meaningful consultation, but what does that look like?

How do businesses or public institutions create a good dialogue and actually have the community influence what happens in their backyard... and in their world. When I hear the National Energy Board is even opening an office in Vancouver to create more dialogue, it makes me wonder how that will unfold.

I have talked to a number of people on both sides of these fences and know there is often the intent to have a good exchange. Sometimes they are just ticking off the consultation box, but generally I think there is a desire to create a good process. Overall,  am just not sure it is working, for anybody. Even when companies pour buckets of money into "talking", people are still angry and frustrated.

It is akin to the premise we are taught to talk but not to communicate. I am on the hunt for effective consultation tools and processes. Please share any good methods you have experienced via this blog or dm me @ dellas@shaw.ca

So to answer the lead-in question, I am not sure there is an ideal way to consult but I am determined to find it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments