Reflection 50 of 52: What makes a great gift?

December 15, 2014


Every week my husband and I go out with my Mom. We usually have lunch and try to include some other interesting little venture. A viewing of an art exhibit, a walk on the beach or strolling through a book store are just some of her favourite things.

I scour the internet and local papers for new places to go to keep it interesting. My Mom is 91 but that does not slow her down. Well, she walks slower now but her mind is quick and she is always up for a new experience.

This past weekend I suggested we go to VanDusen Botanical Garden because they have a lovely gift shop and I needed a few last minute Christmas presents. When I mentioned where we were going Mom excitedly asked if we could go to the park across the street so she could take a picture of some old stairs. She had mentioned these stairs before but I had not really asked about them. Mom is an artist and her lens on the world is quite unique. I don't always see what is in her minds eye. My husband did inquire a bit more. "Where do the stairs go Mom? To an old house?"

Mom said they did not go anywhere, they were just at the corner of the park and she had seen them many times but just had not gotten around to taking a bus over to see them.

After touring the gift shop and grabbing a bite, we were off to check out these stairs. We parked on a side street and she immediately noticed a hilly dirt path and wanted go up from that vantage point so she could see the stairs from the top first. I made her promise to take my arm if she was not going to use her cane. Up we go and as we get to the top she immediately sees the Lions (a local set of mountains) poking through the trees. Her throw away camera starts clicking.

As we wander over in the direction of the stairs you could sense her excitement. We took pictures at the top, walked down these crumbling old stairs and took a few more from the bottom. As we headed back to the car she said that was her Christmas present. She was thrilled to finally get pictures of those stairs. We also happened upon an insect hotel and that seemed mildly interesting to her.

As we dropped her off she turned to me with those twinkly blue eyes and said, "Gold standard day".

Wow, she has never said that before. Made my heart skip a beat. Also made me realize she had mentioned those stairs before and I really did not hear her. She rarely asks for anything. My New Years resolution will be to listen more intently.

I know she reads my blog every week and will be surprised to see herself as a topic. While her gift is photographing a set of stairs to nowhere, my gift is having a Mom who gets such joy from simple, non-materialistic things in life.  Mom, every time we are with you, it is gold standard.

You Might Also Like

0 comments