Reflection 35 of 52: Should we have to be detectives?

September 01, 2014



I got a statement from my Strata management company showing all my payments and advising me I owed some money. Seemed strange to me since I am on an automatic payment system through my bank. There was nothing specific noted other than the fact I owed them money. Hmm. I knew we had an upcoming levy and wondered it that was it. The amount did not seem right so it left some doubt.

I ended up calling them and they advised me the extra parking spot I have had not been included in my payments. The condo manager had gone through the books and noted it had not been paid. I gather they thought it was part of the auto pay as well.

When I look back at the statement, I can see that parking amount buried in with the others. I suppose it seemed obvious to them since they apparently had a conversation about it.

Funny that neither party thought to mention this. Even a quick email would have saved me the bother of calling and sorting it out with the accounting department. I politely suggested that would have been helpful.

This made me relook at everything we send out from our company. I work hard to ensure all our communication is clear. If I get questions about process, we change how we present the information. Sometimes it is based on the individual receiving the information and we gear our explanations accordingly.

No one should have to play detective to figure out what you are communicating. I wonder if the strata company will go and look at their processes or just keep taking calls like mine. I am guessing the latter. The woman who took my call was pleasant enough but she did not seem too interested in amending future communiqués.

Sigh. My mission in life is to help people become better communicators. I am going to send her a copy of my book and personally give our condo managers each one. To turn this moderately negative scenario into something positive, I am going to start keeping a list of poor communicators and send them a complimentary book.

Please check your communications to make sure you are not making assumptions. We should not have to be Columbo to figure it out.

You Might Also Like

0 comments