Reflection 34 of 52: Are you into Marginalia?
August 25, 2014
Ever since I can remember I had this dirty little secret. I am into marginalia. For years I avoided sharing my deviant behavior.
Marginalia
is the writing of notes in books. I felt guilty defacing the pages of my
favourite hardcovers but could not help myself.
I remember old librarians admonishing people who did such nasty deeds. I
took to buying books versus borrowing. And, I rarely shared with others for
fear of them seeing my scribbling.
Now, I
have discovered this has been going on since the early 1800’s and is quite
acceptable (Click here for more info).
Sometimes
it can add to the value of a book. Imagine reading a book full of notations by
Mark Twain. Without a doubt, it would be more interesting.
It is
incredibly personal to write about someone else’s thoughts and words. My
defacing can be quite harsh knowing I am likely the only one who will ever see
my critiques. I marginalize to capture good thoughts and good writing. I circle
great ideas for workshops. I have old books I still refer to and know exactly
where I have penned my point of view. My sister recently read one of my
business type books and wanted to see where and why I make my inky comments.
Since I
now mostly read on my iPad, I use the notes and highlight functions to record
my thoughts. Not quite the same. But, the other functions such as search and
word definition are far more valuable to me.
Perhaps
some future version of a reader device will allow for pen writing in the
margins once again.
So there
you have it. My secret is out. Any other marginalia-ites out there?

0 comments