Reflection 33 of 52: Can people change their lazy voice?

August 18, 2014



I was attending a webinar last week and got totally sidetracked by the voice of one of the presenters. The woman sounded sleepy and it had me nodding off after the first two minutes. I was keenly interested in the data (social media) and I wanted to buy the product (monitoring service). Now I am debating on going with someone else or, at minimum, paying on a monthly basis in case they go out of business.

I am accustomed to casual presentations, particularly in this field and quite like conversational nature of online programming. This was not that. This was a case of “lazy presenter”.  Lazy, by her lack of interest in her own topic, she read most of it. Lazy, by the shortening of her words - cuz, gonna, goin ta, etc. Lazy, by starting each sentence with "so"...  Sooooo irritating, that I started counting the so’s. 

I don’t blame her for this bad presentation. I expect she thinks it is hip to sound like you don’t give a rats ass about your audience. And, this is not an age thing. My 24 year-old colleague was completely put off as well. I expect this presenter does not get much guidance on her performance.

I get the feeling this company does not think it is important to make a great impression via the webinar – they started 10 minutes late, sent a message with a winky smiley face to tell us that, then it was bumpy with a couple of false starts and lack of smooth transitions. We could hear them chortling about the problems as they tried to solve them.

They also prompted us many times to tweet or share the information… over selling, for sure. They offered a percentage off the price but we had to buy within two hours. It made me wonder if they were desperate. Based on this public face of the organization, coupled with an aggressive sales pitch, I suspect they may go bust. If you don’t care about your outward communication, your customers and potential customers feel it. I know my expectations are high and good communication is my passion but I don’t think I am alone.

I don’t believe I would have been so critical if Ms. Lazy Voice had been more energetic or seemed prepared. I expect they spent a chunk of change getting us to the webinar, only to turn us off in the first 15 minutes. And, I like webinars.

Here is my easy, peasy fix for people to change their lazy voice on webinars or anywhere else.
  • Prepare. Don't read your infographic or visual materials.
  • Stand up and breathe. Sitting takes away all your energy.
  • Don’t try to be hip or cool. People can smell that insincerity. Just be you.
  • Take time to pronounce words fully. Not finishing off the word makes you sound stupid.
  • Practice beforehand. Make sure your technology works. Nobody comes to watch your mouse arrow float around indiscriminately. Particularly when we are buying a technological product.
  • Rehearse your points to avoid over using filler words like “so”. Once in a while is okay but eight times in five minutes?!
People can change their lazy voices, with the smallest amount of effort.

You Might Also Like

0 comments