Reflection 37 of 52: Does sexy talk sell?
September 15, 2014
The film to profile the new Apple Watch is the sexiest product launch ever. (Click here to watch the film.) The
voice, language and visuals ooze emotion. Even calling it a film has sex
appeal. Promotional video just sounds crass and main street.
As I listen to
the soft, accented tones of Jony Ive, Senior VP of Design I am lulled into the
feeling we are sharing an intimate moment.
Speaking of
intimate, that word pops up in the script often and draws you in closer with
phrases like, “connects with the wearer on an intimate level”. The choice of language throughout conjures up
a close relationship. Words like
conceived, fluid, gentle and personal abound.
Unique
descriptors such as digital crown, nimble precise adjustment, linear tactic,
sapphire lenses, inductive charging and horological experts drip off his tongue
making you feel part of a very special and smart club.
Soothingly he
says “the watch will recognize the difference between a tap and a press.” Fifty
shades images start to emerge. “You can even share something as intimate as
your heartbeat.” Whoa, E.L. James, step aside.
When he explains the various watch faces I know they have studied exactly
what will appeal to every demographic who will be willing to plunk down 300 +
dollars. As the seductive straps sway and neatly clasp you visualize your
favourite version wrapping slowly around your wrist.
The moody
background music, crisp white (classically Apple) backdrop and beauty images
draw you in and keep you mesmerized for the full 10 minutes. Well, at least, it
kept me glued – obviously.
Before I
watched this… ahem… film, I said I was not going to fall into the early adopter
trap again, paying the premium price for another apple product. Wrongo.

0 comments