Number 28: Stresscom.
July 09, 2012
In the book Nerve: Poise Under Pressure, Serenity Under Stress, and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool by Taylor Clark, we learn that Hans Selye first coined the term “stress” to describe physiological changes he noticed in rodents after some unpleasant research tests. He actually had two terms: eustress for the good kind of stress that energizes and motivates you, and distress for the negative kind we all know and feel at various times. Clark’s theories and stories explain how and why bad stress originates and how it is usually a result of things unpredictable and out of your control. No kidding! Can you recall ever being nervous or stressed when something was predictable and you were in total control? Think about lunch at your favourite spot — you go there because it is predictable and relaxing. This post is about those other times.
My most stressful moments seem to come when someone I love is sick and we are in the hospital system. My brother pointed out that lack of control was my biggest stress factor in the middle of an emergency room while my Mom lay there quite ill and undiagnosed. I am more like a whale out of water than a fish. Everyone in emergency is so busy and they don’t ever seem to have much time to tell you what is going on, what they are doing or how long it might take. It’s understandable — at least when you’re calm and rational. But it’s highly frustrating when your dear, sweet mother is not well, and even more stressful when you are accustomed to being in control with those same people. I do lots of training and facilitating work in the health care system where I am the one in the driver’s seat. I also know how they feel about people who are too intrusive.
My three-part solution for these times is to go into “stresscom” mode:
1. Accept you are stressed and express it. In my case, it was my mother, for goodness sake. It is human to care and be worried. Asking questions without getting in the way or being obnoxious resonates with most people in health care. They got into this field because they care about people. It’s OK to express the fact that you love this person and are worried. The more information you have, the more you will feel like you have some control. Be up front about how freaked out this makes you and they will likely offer reassuring comments and more information.
2. Try to make the unpredictable more predictable. Whatever the situation, a hospital emergency ward or a boardroom, put on your observer lens and look for the “expected” reactions from others. Should I get more bothered because some guy is screaming at the end of the hall or another person is moaning in the bed beside us? This is an emergency room and all that is to be expected. In a boardroom or just with friends or family, you can probably anticipate the reactions of others and that makes it more predictable.
3. Control yourself from within. Recognize that even in the direst of situations you are not helpless. I could get Mom a blanket or talk to her in soothing tones. BTW, my Mom is as fit as ever again and we never did find out what was wrong so it did absolutely no good worrying about it.
Clark’s book Nerve is well worth the read. Packed with science-based studies from people such as psychologist Salvatore Maddi, who believes we can train people to increase their “hardiness.” I would make this book mandatory for teenagers. I would also make stresscom a part of the high school curriculum. Puberty is stressful enough, let alone all the other acne-induced concerns of that age group. Give hormone-filled kids with very little understanding about how to communicate their concerns, and it is a recipe for unnecessary distress. Stresscom 101 — learn how to survive your teen years.
I’d love to have other book recommendations for stress relief. I need all the ammo I can get to help people in my presentation training sessions. Overcoming the stress of public speaking always ranks high on the never meter. The topic of my next post — Speak or Die, Which Would You Prefer?

3 comments
Della - thanks for this. Nerve is a great book and one that has helped me enormously in both my personal and professional life. Your advice is of great value - realizing what causes stress for me has created the opportunity to do something about it (look! I'm back in control!). I know that for me, stress builds when I feel like I am powerless to do anything about a situation, so doing something - even recognizing how I am feeling and focusing on how I can shift those feelings is a huge asset.
ReplyDeleteOne of the books that I have read recently that has really helped me - and happens to be a fun read -- is My Year With Eleanor: A Memoir. Here a blogger takes a page from the book of Eleanor Roosevelt (Do one thing every day that scares you) and embraces that approach ... she does one thing every day that scares her for a full year. Some are huge, some seem small, some are quite funny.
I know that for many people, stress and fear are intertwined. They are for me. I don't think I will ever be fearless ... but I am learning to do it scared and to understand what makes me stressy. Thanks to this post - I now have more tools to help me in this quest! Thanks!
Ruth
Ruth, thanks for the book recommendation. That sounds so ambitious. Perhaps one thing a week that scares us might be more manageable. Love the idea.
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff, Della. We can all relate to the hospital situation. Another good strategy I've used it seek out someone who's familiar with hospital protocols to put you in the know. Through a few degrees of separation, it's usually pretty achievable to talk to someone who can fill you in on the real deal instead of just relying on the emergency room platitudes we so often get. When you know a bit about their world, you usually get better answers as they can't just shunt you aside as another clueless worrier. The key is to do it BEFORE you need to go to emergency. It takes a bit of proactivity, but man is it worth it.
ReplyDelete