The Millennial Dialogue: Vienna Kerfoot
June 25, 2018
Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you?
I’m a millennial in the sense that I was born in the target range, but aside from that, I don’t feel an overt “connection” with the group.
The term millennial is a double-edged sword. The negative connotations such as lazy, entitled, selfish, or a special snowflake weigh heavily. However, the positive perceptions include being highly collaborative, technologically savvy, creative and educated. While there are definitely millennials that fit into both camps, it’s by no means indicative of the overall millennial narrative or what we as a collective value and hold dear. I think that at the heart of it all, we really all want the same things that our parents and all previous generations want; financial security, a place to call home and a better world to raise our own children in. The circumstances of the world we live in may differ greatly from our parents (looking at you, housing prices!), but we are doing the same basic things to achieve our goals.
The term millennial is a double-edged sword. The negative connotations such as lazy, entitled, selfish, or a special snowflake weigh heavily. However, the positive perceptions include being highly collaborative, technologically savvy, creative and educated. While there are definitely millennials that fit into both camps, it’s by no means indicative of the overall millennial narrative or what we as a collective value and hold dear. I think that at the heart of it all, we really all want the same things that our parents and all previous generations want; financial security, a place to call home and a better world to raise our own children in. The circumstances of the world we live in may differ greatly from our parents (looking at you, housing prices!), but we are doing the same basic things to achieve our goals.
What are the challenges to good communication between generations?
I think if we want to understand each other better, we need to listen first without judgement, and then ask questions when we don’t understand or if we disagree. A willingness to learn and be vulnerable is key as well. My Boomer mom has an iphone and regularly texts me, using emojis and slang like anyone else would. To me, this is proof positive that people can adapt with the times. I don’t think categorizing yourself as “old” is an excuse to not learn something, nor is it a reason why you can’t stay up-to-date with technology - just as being “young” isn’t an excuse to not learn about history or the origin behind something. It’s a two-way street. I think we’d all benefit if we were willing to admit that we’re sometimes wrong, or that just because we’ve always done something a particular way doesn’t mean it’s the best (or even the right) way.
What do you think older generations don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?
One of the major stumbling blocks I think is technology and knowledge. Because we don’t have to work as hard to gain the same knowledge older generations did, we can be perceived as “lazy” or having it “easy”. We don’t need encyclopedias when we have Google on our phones. I don’t think that should be looked at as a negative though. We have more information available at our fingertips than ever before, and with it we’re trying to make the world a better place.
How many millennials have been lectured by a Boomer or other who said “When I was your age I already owned a house or a XX”? I can understand how they could perceive us to be slackers if we haven’t “accomplished” the same milestones they had at our age. However, I don’t think the average house cost over $1.2 million when they were my age. It feels like older generations think that we millennials just need to work hard(er), because that’s obviously why we aren’t buying homes or “growing up”. I think the wealth disparity is one of the most dangerously misunderstood factors when it comes to generational misunderstandings.
How many millennials have been lectured by a Boomer or other who said “When I was your age I already owned a house or a XX”? I can understand how they could perceive us to be slackers if we haven’t “accomplished” the same milestones they had at our age. However, I don’t think the average house cost over $1.2 million when they were my age. It feels like older generations think that we millennials just need to work hard(er), because that’s obviously why we aren’t buying homes or “growing up”. I think the wealth disparity is one of the most dangerously misunderstood factors when it comes to generational misunderstandings.
Where do you get your news?
What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work and at home?
What are the things organizations do well or could do better to connect with you?
What is your biggest pet peeve when in a group discussion with many generations?
I think the most dangerous point of view is the “We’ve always done it like this” character, because it leaves no room for growth or improvement. The main misunderstanding I think stems from the fact that the older generation may feel attacked, or that we view their ways as inferior. This is simply not the case. While we appreciate that they’ve paved the way for certain things, we seek to improve on it, or to question why it was done this way from the get-go. Without innovation, or the willingness to “break some eggs”, we would stop evolving and would miss out on amazing technological breakthroughs such as gene editing or the eradication of disease.
What communications advice has helped you?
Do you have good communication skills? And, why or why not?
I’ve realized in recent years though that I fall a little short when it comes to clearly communicating and expressing my own personal thoughts and feelings - which is something I’m working on!
From a personal perspective
What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show?
Non-fiction - Poke the Box by Seth Godin
Fiction - Fatherland by Robert Harris
My favourite TV shows right now:
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (thanks Internet for helping to save it!)
Westworld
Archer
Favourite Netflix shows:
Explained
Bill Nye Saves the World
Arrested Development
What do you do for extracurricular activities?
Up until my accident, I was volunteering with the Writer’s Exchange, an after-school program that gets inner-city kids excited about reading and learning.
What are the most important social issues to you?
As an actress and musician, I’ve also held it near and dear to my heart to petition for equal representation in the arts, especially in North America. There are so many groups that are either misrepresented or underrepresented. From 2015 to 2016 I volunteered as the Marketing Coordinator for the Vancouver Asian Film Festival (VAFF). Founded in 1995, VAFF is dedicated to celebrating the diversity of the Asian culture in both film and media. My hope is that by actively participating and contributing, I can help shape the future of Asians in the arts, and bring forward a new era of inclusivity.
What technology do you like best for communicating?
How do you feel about the education system?
What is something you want to learn more about?
What bores you?
Are there any other thoughts you would like to share about communicating between generations?
_____
As Vienna says, looking someone in the eye is an important part of communication. Looking up and engaging via eye contact makes a huge difference in most situations. One of my clients, who was a lab technician, joked that an extrovert in her world was the person looking at your shoes versus their own. Vienna's other advice about talking to millennials you know versus just reading data about them can make a difference. That has been the joy of doing this blog series. I am continually impressed with how articulate and thoughtful each one has been. This woman also walks the talk through her charity work. Impressive.


0 comments