The Millennial Dialogue: Hollis Nelson

June 11, 2018



Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you?

To me a millennial is someone who came of age in the 2000s, or at the same time as the rise of technology. When I discovered that I was a millennial I remember being surprised. I don’t identify as one but technically I am one. 

What are the challenges to good communication between generations? 

It can be challenging to understand difference. It requires patience and an open mind. The world expanded at a dramatic rate with the introduction of the internet and an online world. That created a large gap in communication styles, so much so that we aren’t even seeing the true effects of it yet. The way we interact and communicate is undergoing a wild transformation.

What do you think older generations don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?

I think older generations see younger generations as having a lot of privilege and opportunity. We are spoiled and everything has been “handed” to us. I read once that millennials were apathetic. I would argue, however, that millennials are overwhelmed with information and constant stimuli. We have so many options and there is so much to do that we don’t know what to do.  

Where do you get your news? 

I get my news from my phone. Along with social media my phone also provides me with news highlights from the Globe and Mail, CBC, Global. 

What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work and at home? 

I find face to face most effective. Communication is complicated and requires a variety of tools and skills. Face to face provides the ability to read body language, watch someones eyes, hear their tone. 

What are the things organizations do well or could do better to connect with you? 

Honestly I’m not sure. There is so much information coming at me on the daily I have a hard time when new information tries to get my attention. Be it emails, face to face on the street, phone, text messaging, I often tend to ignore it or avoid it because I feel very skeptical about the intention behind it. Are you trying to sell me something? (who isn’t these days…)

What is your biggest pet peeve when in a group discussion with many generations? 

I don’t often participate in group discussions with multiple generations. This in and of itself is a problem. I think keeping the different generations connected would help with understanding each other.  

What communications advice has helped you?

Listen and respond, don't react. 

Do you have good communication skills? And, why or why not?

I think I do have good communication skills. It is something I think a lot about and even do research on (currently reading “Crucial Conversations: Tools for talking when the stakes are high”). I also had multiple bosses throughout my twenties who prioritized practicing communication with their staff (whether they were entirely successful every time or not). I have observed and experienced relationship break downs due to unsuccessful communications. I feel miscommunication is often at the heart of many hurt feelings and conflicts. 

From a personal perspective

What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show? 

Recently I have been reading artist self-help books! I have read The War on Art and Big Magic. I like Madmen and The Mindy Project, and I have also been watching Dear White People.

What do you do for extracurricular activities? 

Between working to pay my bills and working to build my future I don’t have a lot of spare time. I do like to get out to the woods whenever I can, to either hike or camp. I hula hoop daily as a form of mental and physical exercise. When I get together with my friends we will either share food together or have a couple of drinks. 

Who do you admire for the way they live their life? 

I admire and respect the mother of the boy that I nanny, Jackie. She is an intentional mother and a successful business owner. On top of that she is a community figure who gives back. Bandidas, her restaurant, is often donating their profits to a variety of social causes. 

What are the most important social issues to you?

The most important issues to me are animal rights, the environment, and mental health. 

What technology do you like best for communicating?

Honestly text messaging is my preferred form of communication (although I cringe to admit it!) 


How do you feel about the education system?

I am not a fan of our education system. I find that its focus is too narrow. I do not think that it suits the variety of children that it serves. I was homeschooled as is the boy that I currently nanny, so this biases my opinion. 

What is something you want to learn more about?

I want to learn to speak Spanish, I want to learn more hula hoop tricks and I want to learn how to service my car that I just bought (oil changes, regular maintenance etc). 

What bores you?

Mmm I can’t think of the last time I was bored. If I am bored with something I am doing then I will change what I am doing. 

Where do you volunteer your time and money?

In the past I have volunteered at the Wish Drop-in centre as well as The Writers Room. I am currently looking into volunteering at Red Fox Healthy Living Society.

What makes you laugh?

My friends make me laugh.

Are there any other thoughts you would like to share about communicating between generations?

Let all generations spend time inter mingling. Sharing their ideas, listening to each others voices, and respecting each others varied views!

_____


Raised by artists, I have an extra special fondness for people like Hollis. Their perspectives always have that wonderful creative lens. When Hollis said the ability to watch someone's eyes and hear their tone was important to communication, I was totally in sync. Seeing and hearing people can change the impact of the dialogue dramatically. And, she also blows the "lazy" millennial myth out of the water with her four jobs. Gotta love her unique style. I am a huge fan.

You Might Also Like

0 comments