The Millennial Dialogue: Kevin Chan

June 04, 2018




Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you?

I’m a millennial, as defined by birth year, but otherwise don’t feel overly associated to the term.

If I did need to associate it with myself, I would say that being a millennial means that I have a desire to make a positive difference in the world around me, so being driven towards a purpose is a must. To others, it might mean that I’m ‘lazy’, ‘bored’, or ‘non-committal’ if it isn’t something I’m passionate about. Are either of these a true definition of myself?

There’s often a bias, positive and negative, towards any generational stereotypes, so I try to surround myself with people who cast these notions aside and let people (regardless of generation) thrive how they are meant to.

What are the challenges to good communication between generations? 

Preferred method of communication is definitely a challenge between generations. If I’m more accustomed to communicating via e-mail and my coworker isn’t, things can get lost in translation. On the reverse, if my coworker prefers to communicate in-person and I don’t have time to collect my thoughts (as I would when typing an e-mail response), we may not reach our given objectives. There are so many new ways to communicate in today’s workplace that these types of obstacles are becoming increasingly common.

What do you think older generations don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?

“Why?” - Unlike our parents and grandparents, millennials always want to know the reason behind the work. It’s no longer satisfactory to put your head down and work for someone or towards something without knowing why. This has led to an increased sense of social responsibility in the workplace.

Where do you get your news? 

Reddit subscriptions of things that I’m interested in, the TV (I’m one of the few ‘millennials’ I know of that has an active cable subscription), and news shared by friends/family on Facebook. 

What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work and at home? 

At home, definitely e-mail for me, since I tend to re-read messages 2-3 times before responding. At work, face-to-face meetings are my go-to in order to get responses immediately.

What are the things organizations do well or could do better when it comes to communicating with you? 

If they expect a response, a low barrier for entry is a must. If it takes too long to respond through their engagement channel (e.g. survey), it gets harder for me to see it to completion.

What is your biggest pet peeve when in a group discussion with many generations? 

Not exclusive to intergenerational meetings, but my pet peeve in meetings is when there isn’t a chance at the end to reflect or provide additional comments. It doesn’t provide a true reflection of all working styles and individuals that may not speak up in a meeting but have invaluable contributions to make.

What communications advice has helped you?

Don’t be afraid to get clarification and ask questions.

Do you think you have good communication skills? And, why or why not?

Being a good communicator involves having the right tools to communicate to the right audience. I’d like to think I’m on the right path, but I know I still have a long way to go!

From a personal perspective

What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show? 

Favourite books recently:
  • When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi
  • My Lovely Wife in the Psych Ward: A Memoir - Mark Lukach 
Favourite TV Shows right now:
  • The Office
  • Westworld

What do you do for extracurricular activities? 

Over the past couple years, I've gotten into Olympic weightlifting. I love the mental aspect that it requires.

Who do you admire for the way they live their life? 

I know people always say this, but my parents. They’ve always been great role models for me and provide just the right amount of advice before letting life do the rest. Growing up, they showed me how important it is to give back to the community and those around you.

What technology do you like best for communicating?

Anything but speaking over the phone - it makes me a little insecure when I can’t see physical reactions to the twists and turns of a conversation. 

What bores you?

Small talk. Let’s talk about passions, what drives you, your purpose. But… we can also talk about sports too.

What is something you want to learn more about?

Part of me would like to learn a new language, but I only know one so it’s a daunting task for me.  

What makes you laugh?

I like to think I have a unique sense of humour (my partner can attest to this), so you’ll often catch me laughing quietly to myself based on what I observe. Other than that, my friends and family know me and my humour best!
_____


Like Kevin, I have always wanted to know the "why" behind the work. This is one of the questions I find most refreshing, particularly in our workshops. There are usually options to consider for almost every scenario or task and asking why can often lead to better outcomes. I recently read a piece on "being addicted to being right" and people who bristle at getting the "why" question. It reminds me of a woman who once asked me to move to another area at a Guru event in the 70's. When I asked why, she quoted that old Tennyson poem, "Ours is not to reason why". That was enough for me to grab my backpack and head for the door. I definitely don't belong in any group that does not allow for critical thinking. Thank you Kevin for reminding all of us that "why" is a great question.

You Might Also Like

0 comments