Deconstructing with Della: Upspeak and Vocal Fry

February 06, 2017

Photo Credit: Virtual Speech Coach

I was of the opinion that upspeak (ending sentences with a question) and vocal fry (elongated croaky sounding voices) were detrimental to one's career. I still think that is true but am not 100% sure.

For years I have coached women (and a few men) to avoid these voice mannerisms. Ever since I can remember these styles have been heavily critiqued. The valley girlish or Kardashian-like styles  were thought to make women sound less confident and none too bright or rougher.

Recently it was brought to my attention that this could be viewed as pushing women to talk more like men and was a form of misogyny. Wow. That made me take a step back and do some research.

Yup, this is a controversial topic. Amazing how you can spend some 40 years with an ingrained perspective and not even realize there was another point of view. I love it when this happens. It is easy to be desensitized to issues like this if we stick to a way of thinking... just because it was our reality for so long.

Voice and tone is such an important part of connecting and communicating effectively, I never thought to question the need for more assertive voices. But, is that a movement to make women sound more like men? 

After spending my entire career in a male dominated world, I find it hard to deconstruct issues like this. Do I find those voices grating because I was trained and mentored by men? I don't recall anyone critiquing me but certainly took courses and read plenty books knocking those voices. I expect I will still recommend people work on these traits as I know the reality of the work force and how it might hinder their careers. 

For more on this topic, check out this NPR podcast - From Upspeak to Vocal Fry: Are We "Policing" Young Women's Voices?  and CBC article. 

I am hoping my friends in HR and recruitment weigh in on this one... along with anyone else. What do you think?

You Might Also Like

0 comments