Deconstructing with Della: Speak Truth to Power

February 20, 2017

"You're fired": Donald Trump

The words "Speak truth to power" keep ringing in my head. Most likely as a result of the antics happening south of our border. I first recall hearing the term from a colleague who was working in Washington, DC. While there are various interpretations, I see this as having the courage of your convictions and the willingness to express them to someone, even if to your own detriment.

The former interim US Attorney General, Sally Yates is a perfect example. She chose to defy the President's travel ban and was promptly fired. Good on her. I fully expect she will land another great opportunity soon. Remember she was also the one who warned the White House Administration about the lack of truthfulness from National Security Advisor, Michael Flynn.

Lucky for me, I spoke truth to power many times in my career and had positive reactions. It takes a confident CEO to hear criticism and alternative opinions. I remember a classic scenario during a major downsizing when the President asked me if I thought they were doing enough for their employees. I said no. They were doing what the union agreement required but these were employees who worked for the company for more than 20 years and retraining should be offered, at minimum. To my surprise, he agreed and made it so. That was fairly early in my career and made me realize the power and influence of speaking the truth. My boss at the time, looked sick when he heard my reply and I know for a fact he would not have risked the account by being so candid.

In our new world of communication, I believe we must speak the truth, even if it comes with a price. It boggles my mind to see people change their tune once they are in the presence of someone with power. I had a colleague who swayed with the strongest person in the room. She threw me under the bus a few times before I saw the pattern. I believe in being respectful but sucking up is not in my genes. It is always up to the client to make the ultimate decision but the responsibility of the consultant to provide the straight goods.

Deconstructing what is happening in relation to the White House after a few short weeks shows the strength of people when they realize they are not alone in speaking the truth. As more and more bureaucrats and politicians speak up or go through the court system, undoubtedly wrongs will get put right. The leaks increase as well.

I have witnessed the power of the group voice over the leader's many times. It can be intimidating to be the only one to stand up to the powerful person in the room. We had a session where the group had discussed a point of view before the kingpin entered the room. He did not ask about the discussion just spewed his strong opinions. The room fell silent. We asked everyone to give their opinion via our anonymous voting meters. To the leader's surprise, he was a lone voice. Shocked, he stopped and took the time to listen. The group, now feeling more powerful, presented their perspective. It was magical. He got it. It changed the dynamic and the decision.

Our work as facilitators is to ensure everyone in the room has a voice. They don't have to agree but the loudest voice does not rule. To do that effectively means we speak truth to power in our pre-planning. If someone wants to manipulate results, the session won't work. It is not always intentional or devious but people often think they are the only one who is right. It is our responsibility to push back for the sake of everyone involved. We have never been fired for that... yet.

You Might Also Like

0 comments