Reflection 17 of 52: How much impact can a card have?

April 28, 2014



We spent Easter Sunday visiting with a cousin who has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. She is 60 years old and has spent most of the past 50 of those years in a wheelchair due to a chronic disease. She is no stranger to pain and medical treatments. She has a strong belief in God and her faith is helping her through this phase of life, as it has so many times before.

As we chatted, I noticed her mantle was overflowing with cards. I commented on them and she beamed. Knowing she had that much support gave her huge comfort. It was a visible display of love and support.

I recall the same volume of cards at the home of a close friend who succumbed to cancer last year. She would rearrange them constantly and re-read the heartfelt notes inside.

In our world of fast paced electronic communications a simple card packs even more meaning. That you took the time to select a card tailored to the occasion, hand wrote a personal note and either personally delivered or bought a stamp and mailed it signals heartfelt caring.

It is not always about a get-well card, think about the time someone actually mailed you a birthday card, a thank-you message or acknowledged an accomplishment. I think we all love to receive cards.

Cards serve so many purposes. I send a weekly card to a woman who was my mentor. In her present state, she no longer remembers me and cannot comprehend detailed letters but I think she knows she is loved each time that a personal note arrives.

My Mom is famous for her homemade artistic cards and those are even more special. I have kept every one.

Let’s not forget about this lovely time honoured tradition. Good communication is about connecting. In 1944 Hallmark coined the phrase “When you care enough to send the very best” - I would update that to simple say, "When you care enough to send anything - even a hand scribbled note." We don’t need to buy Hallmark or the even pricier Papyrus cards, we can even reuse old cards. I have a friend who does just that – re-gifts a card you gave her many years prior. Very cool and touching.

So, yes cards still are a great way to communicate, even if the price of a stamp keeps rising.

You Might Also Like

0 comments