Reflection 16 of 52: Can you rock when mistakes happen?

April 21, 2014



During a little weekday getaway with my Mom and sister, we met the finest small business communicator - due to an employee error.

We were dwindling away our day checking out local eateries and artsy shops. At the local art gallery, I came upon a much-coveted funky antique brass easel. I had one exactly the same at home but mine was tiny. I wanted something bigger to display larger works of art. In all my searching I had never found one quite like it. This one was perfect. I asked the young shop clerk if she knew where they bought them and to my surprise, she said they were available for sale. I promptly said I would take one.

We continued to admire the paintings and sculptures while she went off to clean my new purchase and wrap it up. As we approached the front counter, an older sophisticated woman (turned out to be the owner) looked over with a funny little smile and advised us that they had stopped selling these precious easels, as they were no longer available via their Italian supplier.  She had searched all over and could not even find a good second best.

The young clerk looked slightly embarrassed but the owner made it clear it was not her fault and they would honour the sale. The cachet and charisma of this art gallery owner was immediate. She smoothed over the situation with her gracious manner and soon was telling us about special showings and their great lay away art plan. We hung around for another 15 minutes hearing about the company philosophy, their artists and generally all the wonderful ways they help people acquire or sell art.  Before we knew it, we were put on a special “invitation only” Christmas event. 

By the time we left we felt more like VIP’s than someone who just got away with a display only, rare easel. Instead of a “start the car” moment, this delightful woman, made us want to come back and buy the items that were actually for sale.

She made me promise to tell her if I ever saw something similar that was as sturdy and attractive. Serendipitously, I saw one in a shop later that day and popped back to the gallery to share the news.

This White Rock Gallery owner rocked it. If you find yourself in that neck of the woods, check them out. Aside from amazing pieces of art you will find a highly compelling communicator – Dennie Segnitz.

Proof positive, you can turn your employee error into a rockstar moment.

You Might Also Like

0 comments