Number 48 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Doug Nelson
December 02, 2013
At one time, I worked with someone who would ask me to rank him on a scale of 1 to 10 after each presentation - he never got a 10. Doug Nelson is someone who regularly gets a 10 in my books. Doug is one of those communicators who is constantly working at finding the best ways to compel people to support his cause. I have watched him use the power of speech to motivate in positive situations and console in difficult times. Both he does with great passion.
Somewhere between shy and outgoing. My teachers always misunderstood my lack of attention in class for extroversion. My mind was just wandering and my body followed.
What helped you become a good communicator?
Books: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - tell a good story
Online sources/newsletters: NY Times Op-Eds - how to make a compelling argument
School: Miss Bell (2nd grade) who made me a reader
Mentors, family, friends, co-workers: My grandfather - he sent me piles of books every year
Observing others: A good political barnburner - especially if I disagree with the speaker
Other: Jean Chretien - No one could communicate a direction or outline a series of choices like he could. It shows that how we say something is less important than what we say, no matter what speech coaches say
What are the traits of a good communicator?
Curious, compelling, clear, and connected to their audience. We want to learn, to understand and be able to effect change in the world around us. Good communicators light the path and move us to action. I have no time for communicators who rely on fear or our lesser selves to maintain the status quo or justify behaviours.
What tip or advice would you give to help people become better communicators?
Be aware of your audience. We all have a message we want to communicate and we all have ways we want to receive messages others want to communicate. Take the time to think about what message your audience is most likely to respond to. I have a joke that I use when speaking to large crowds, especially when my slot is before lunch or after a round of golf. I say, "I know you're interested in dinner/the bar/ etc, so I'll keep my comments to 45 minutes." It gets their attention and then I speak for 3 minutes maximum. Also, sometimes I get booed.
What is your biggest communication related pet peeve?
No question about it - my biggest pet peeve is speakers, usually elected officials, reading their speeches and repeating messages, information and statistics without even acknowledging they have been said before. Pay attention! Second is 'text' spelling in any forum other than a text message. If you're an adult, and you want people to take you seriously, don't do it. Tx.
Who do you think is a famous compelling communicator? And, what makes him or her compelling?
Can I add my name to the list of people who picked Obama? Actually, the most compelling person I have seen in a long time is Patrick Sullivan. He and his wife Sam lost their son Finn to cancer when Finn was only 3 years old. Patrick shares his grief and loss in a very powerful way. He is, after all, talking about an almost unimaginable tragedy. Rather than focus on the pain, Patrick inspires people by focusing on the power of living and the hope and optimism that cancer research represents. He has inspired people to participate in the Ride to Conquer Cancer, to donate to cancer research, run marathons, and remember the enthusiasm for life that Finn had everyday of his life. Patrick is a compelling communicator and one of my personal heroes. Click here to see the full story.
Please share a communications story (good or bad) that will be beneficial for others:
At the BC Cancer Foundation we have the privilege of meeting people who are intrinsically motivated to do something about cancer. We also work with amazing researchers who have dedicated their lives to better understanding cancer. As a part of inspiring both of these groups we use words like 'end cancer', and ‘conquer cancer' and we frequently ask our donors to imagine 'a world free from cancer.' But we know that cancer research is incremental. Breakthroughs are often just the next step in a long journey to change how one type of cancer is treated. So often our rhetoric about our events and our mission can be discordant with the pace of research. Recently I was asked by a young woman whose brother had just passed away from a rare cancer, "how close are we to a world free from cancer?" She went on to say, "I would hate to think we lost him when a cure was on the horizon." It was a powerful reminder of how important it is to connect our persuasive language to the actual progress we're making. Research is working, it's just not working for everyone and not nearly fast enough.
Doug Nelson describes himself as a voracious reader, news watcher and social profit ambassador. His work at the BC Cancer Foundation brings him into contact with brilliant scientists and medical professionals, however; the best part is the inspiring people he meets who have been touched by cancer and are committed to changing the cancer story for others.

0 comments