Number 49 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Jackson Katz

December 09, 2013


At first, I did not know what to make of Jackson Katz. As I watched his TED Talk, I was caught up in the visual of a man who looked like a sports coach versus someone who would speak about gender issues.

Surprise can be an effective communication tool. I sense that element of disbelief when I do social media workshops – people don’t expect me to be savvy in that arena purely because of my age.

Jackson Katz surprises and provokes a different way of thinking throughout his entire talk. 


He builds a great case for leadership training to deal with violence and gender issues. As he says it is not about sensitivity training, it is about leadership. He makes an important distinction between the two. He talks about a bystander approach where people speak up when hearing or witnessing inappropriate language or violence.

Check out how he uses a simple sentence on a flip chart to demonstrate victim blaming.

Quoting Martin Luther King, he reinforces the need to speak up “In the end,  (what hurts the most) we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”  He repeats this quote so we really hear it but adds his own twist – with “what hurts the most”.

The communication lessons from this man come from his great ability to continually bring in real life examples and analogies throughout his speech.

On his website he distills effective ways to gender violence prevention into a 10 step poster.

This is a complex subject and ambitious campaign to get people to take action. I think he does it well.

You Might Also Like

0 comments