Number 47 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Malala Yousafzai
November 25, 2013
Of course, Malala
Yousafzai is included in my cadre of amazing communicators. Addressing the UN
at 16 years old barely begins to showcase the talents of this remarkable young
woman.
Her book, I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban is a must read.
Aside from admiring her
ability to win the hearts and minds of people around the world, I am fascinated
by her communication skills. Watching her on media interviews, it is as if she
has been a seasoned professional on the circuit for years. In fact, she has been crafting her messages
for years. With an education activist father, Malala had been groomed for her
role since birth. Even her name – she was named after Malalai of Maiwand, is described in her book as their Joan of Ark.
Malala has been speaking
out via social media and through articles and interviews since 2008 – four
years before she was shot by the Taliban.
As I have always believed,
communication skills are learned. Passion for education obviously drives her
but as I read her book, I see her wisdom and how she purposefully uses
opportunities to push through her message.
Here is an excerpt from
her book:
“On my sixteenth birthday, I was in New York to speak at the United Nations. Standing up to address an
audience inside the vast hall where so many world leaders have spoken before
was daunting, but I knew what I wanted to say. This is your chance, Malala, I said to myself. Only 400 people were
sitting around me but when I looked out, I imagined millions more. I did not
write the speech with the UN delegation in mind; I wrote it for every person
around the world who could make a difference. I wanted to reach all people
living in poverty, those children forced to work and those who suffer from
terrorism or lack of education. Deep in my heart I hoped to reach every child
who could take courage from my words and stand up for his or her rights.”
Deliberate and with
purpose, Malala will be a name and force to be reckoned with for a long time.
As she has said, I don’t
want to be thought of as the “girl who was shot by the Taliban” but the “girl
who fought for education.”
No to worry, Malala that
is how we will think of you.
0 comments