Number 45 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Rosalyn Cronin

November 11, 2013


I am thrilled to include my sister in this blog series. After spending most of her career in accounting she decided to pursue her passion and write a book that would help people with their businesses and money. She dedicated weekends and evenings learning to write and share her wisdom. Her ability to see financial challenges as an extension of other personal issues is enlightening and hugely helpful. Her clients, friends and family have reaped the benefits of her sage life advice as well as her financial expertise. Me included!

Aside from her business books she is also busy writing a sci-fi novel - what about that!?


How would you describe yourself as a child?
Shy and reserved.

What helped you become a good communicator?
Books (which ones?) - Human Dynamics by Dr. Sandra Seagal and David Horne. 
Online sources/newsletters (which ones?) - Being a Luddite, I don't have any of these EXCEPT Della's Deck, which I read every week. 
School (which instructor?) - Durham College - Adult Trainers Certificate program.
Mentors, family, friends, co-workers - My favorite sister - Della Smith.
Observing others (who?) - Speakers, both good and bad, at seminars. 
Other - Evaluation forms filled out by honest participants after a presentation.

What are the traits of a good communicator?
Able to connect to the audience, understand the topic and have a sense of humour about it all.

What tip or advice would you give to help people become better communicators?
Slow down and know that most audiences or individuals will only be able to grasp about one tenth, if that, of the knowledge you have on the subject. Don't overwhelm or try to impress, do try to educate and help.

What is your biggest communication related pet peeve?
Someone who has a PowerPoint presentation all in bullet points, hands out a printout of the presentation and then proceeds to read it aloud, word for word.

Who do you think is a famous compelling communicator? And, what makes him or her compelling? 
Winston Churchill, able to put the one phrase together that would make people willing to follow his lead. Like his "Never, never, never give up." They paid a huge price but won the war.


Please share a communications story (good or bad) that will be beneficial for others.
I was presenting a workshop on "Just Say No to Perfection." There were two women at the back of the room. Each was wonderfully dressed, hair and make-up immaculate. I had arrived fighting the stomach flu and looking like the cat had dragged me in backwards. As the seminar continued there was lots of interactive communication with the group but nothing from the two in the back. I began to feel they were in the wrong workshop and would leave at any minute and left them be, rather than include them in the discussions. Near the end, as I asked if there were any questions, one slowly raised her hand. I flinched, expecting a snide comment, but she asked, “What do I do when I have spent my whole life trying to be perfect for everyone else in my life and I don’t know how to change that and be myself.” I learned to never judge by appearances, that we are all out there learning and sometimes the biggest learning comes to the presenter.

Rosalyn Cronin is the author of The Healthy Business and a Certified Management Accountant. She helps small business owners create fitness plans for their companies. She has another book in the works designed specifically for network marketers.

You Might Also Like

0 comments