Number 33 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Peter ter Weeme

August 19, 2013

I absolutely adore Peter. We first met through the Better Business Bureau and had an instant connection. Our values mesh. One of the many reasons Peter is a compelling communicator is his uncanny ability to charm and challenge people at the same time. He and his colleagues work on big, meaty issues like the stigma around HIV and Aids in India.

When he and his partner, David moved to India with their daughter Chloe, I wondered how this Canadian family would manage. Their challenges navigating language and cultural issues are worthy of a comedy show...but they are also a testament to their communication skills. They are not only surviving, they are thriving in their new home.


How would you describe yourself as a child?
Outgoing and exuberant. I was a pretty hyper kid!

What helped you become a good communicator?
Books (which ones?) - Various books but some standouts are Tipping Point (Gladwell), Positioning (Trout and Reis) 

Online sources/newsletters (which ones?) - These days I focus on CSR comms so sources like GreenBiz.com and Sustainablelifemedia.com 

School (which instructor?) - Beamsville District Secondary. My English teacher, Mr Eden (whom I had for two years) 

Mentors, family, friends, co-workers - David Kuefler, Mike Rowlands, Coro Strandberg are notable 

Observing others (who?) - Tamara Vrooman (Vancity), Steve Jobs, Bill Clinton, You!

What are the traits of a good communicator?
Being a good communicator starts with being a good listener. It also requires a high emotional quotient and a desire to be open to other ideas. It's also critical to understand storytelling and how to blend facts and data with psychology, ego, emotion and the human condition.

What tip or advice would you give to help people become better communicators?
Context and framing are critical to good communications and you can't do that successfully without spending more time listening to what others are saying and less time thinking about what you are going to say.

What is your biggest communication related pet peeve?
Passive language! I like things to be crisp and for every word to count. I also despise people who abuse PowerPoint.

Who do you think is a famous compelling communicator? And, what makes him or her compelling? 
I've always been a fan of Bill Clinton. He's a master at the fireside chat -- like your favourite uncle whose stories you can't help but eat up. His delivery is natural, he takes complex ideas and makes them simple to understand but does so in a way that does not insult our intelligence. He's empathic and makes you feel like he's talking to YOU personally rather than a crowd.

Please share a communications story (good or bad) that will be beneficial for others. 
I once took a personal development course where the participants had to state what "possibility" they wanted to represent. Almost everyone came out with statements like "I am the possibility of leadership" or "being powerful" and so on. 

In contrast, I shared that I wanted to be the possibility of vulnerability. When I said that, you could hear a pin drop. I think it's because we all feel vulnerable but are taught to "be strong" and "suck it up" and by suggesting that it's OK to be authentic and open, it opened a whole new reality for the room. In short, there was power in being "weak" (which is how most people perceive vulnerability). 

After 15+ years of standing up for various equality issues, most notably in support of the LGBT and people with disabilities communities, I continue to be surprised at the power we all hold when we combine that vulnerability with our own story. Time-and-again, I've had people tell me that this approach has helped them understand themselves better, allowed them to feel validated and important, and provided them a sense of community. 

For me, the most compelling communicators are "real", speak from the heart and put "looking good" aside in favour of "doing good". It’s scary at times but an effective way to propel ideas, beliefs and movements.

Peter ter Weeme is a strategic counsel and client lead at Junxion Strategy, a consulting firm based in Vancouver and with offices in Toronto, London and Delhi. He has expertise in strategy and business planning, environmental and broader sustainability issues, marketing and communications, stakeholder engagement, behaviour change and market research. He is experienced in working with corporate, government and non-profit clients on a range of critical issues.

You Might Also Like

0 comments