Number 32 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Whoopi Goldberg

August 12, 2013



There are a bucket of reasons I could have chosen to write about Whoopi being a compelling communicator but I am going to narrow it down to three. First, for the way she describes her early inspiration, then how she decided upon her stage name and the third for the way she connected during a live event I attended.

Deciding on a different name must be a liberating experience. I suppose actors are quite accustomed to this. It is hard to picture Whoopi as Caren Elaine Johnson. Changing something as personal as your name is communications at a fundamental level. It is your brand, it immediately says something about who you are.

Whoopi got hers from, quelle surprise, a whoopee cushion. She has been known to be quite comfortable about the usually delicate subject of farting – “If you get a little gassy, you’ve got to let it go”.  And, after people telling her she was analogous to the jokester pillow she adopted the name. Then, she took on the Goldberg surname because her mother felt that Johnson was not “Jewish enough” to make her a star. 

Only a comedian or extremely ballsy woman could package herself up like that. Our names or nicknames can speak volumes as we introduce ourselves. My husband goes by Smitty – combine that with my name Della and it makes us somewhat more memorable as a couple. My workshop coordinator, Xenia is constantly asked for the origin of her name and I think it adds a certain cache to her persona. (It is the Greek word for hospitality and she is not Greek). Even geeky or odd names can sound fabulous if you say them with conviction. Who could have predicted someone named Whoopi could rise to fame. Imagine that discussion around an executive table.

A compelling story that Whoopi often shares is her reaction to seeing Nichelle Nichols character Lieutenant Uhura on Star Trek. Upon seeing Lt. Uhura on the popular tv show as a young woman she looked at her mother and said “Momma! There’s a black lady on TV and she ain’t no maid!”. We all like to know what inspires others, it can create a powerful connection.

Whoopi is one year younger than me and I also recall being inspired by Ms. Nichols character. Being raised colour blind (race was not discussed in our home – it was a non issue) I did not connect on that front I just saw a cool woman in a position of power – she was the communications officer on a star ship - Wow, what a cool job! Little did I know I would follow in her footsteps and take on communications as my career choice. 

On to the final reason I chose to write about Whoopi. I am a big fan of her movies and especially, The Color Purple. Having met a couple of celebrities through my work I tend not to want to meet or watch interviews of big name actors, it can be so disappointing. More than a few times, I have been so turned off by the real person I can no longer see their movies. I took the risk with Whoopi and booked an opportunity to see her – live. I invited a couple of girlfriends and we made a night of it. It was not her stand up act, rather an informal night where she talked about her life.

She was funny and it did feel a bit like she was doing a comedy routine but then there were authentic magical moments. When she talked about her grandkids or certain men in her life, you could tell it was real. At times, it felt like we were just a group of friends sitting in a living room versus a thousand people in a theatre. Creating that intimacy is an art.

The communication lesson with this profile that genuine stuff sticks. You can be a great entertainer and that is powerful but it is even more captivating when we get to know the person behind the actor’s mask. I think we all put on a bit of a show and polish ourselves up for certain situations but people connect best when we let down our hair and give of our true selves.

Watch this quick clip of the real Whoopi when a man with autism shares a moment with her:  



Thanks Whoopi for sharing parts of yourself with us.

You Might Also Like

0 comments