Number 36: The Springboard - Nasty or Nice?
September 03, 2012Tone might shroud the springboard. Why on Earth would you invest in that? If I had simply asked, Why would you invest in that?, you might hear it as a nice question and a springboard to explaining your reasons. But the crankiness of adding “on Earth” changes the tone, and makes you feel judged and pushed to defend versus explain. However, it is still a Springboard.
When we started this series of question types, I said you need to “feel” the question. In this case you might feel the tone but you don't want to miss the opportunity. Listening intently and having the courage of your convictions helps. “I am delighted to tell you why I invested in that project.” iffusing the snarkiness and embracing the springboard comes with practice.
I have run into lots of this variety of question, particularly when I present about social media. Why should I care about social media? Do I really need to know what someone is having for lunch? Sigh. The number of times I get this sort of question makes me want to weep. Then, I remember, it is a springboard. Disguised, trite and cliché but it is a springboard. Because I am prepared for it, I can quickly rattle off three or four benefits of social media relevant to that person.
The nice Springboards can be just as catastrophic as it makes the responder think we actually want to know all about their topic. Most people do not want to know everything about a subject. Just the Coles notes version, please. If you are asked what you like about your job, there is no need to give a blow-by-blow report of a day in your life. I have seen people prattle on, barely taking breaths, regaling others with the most tedious, detailed stories about people you don’t know or care about. Don’t bore us, just give us the chorus. Next question type, The Speculative Q – What if? In the meantime, got anything to say about Springboards?

0 comments