The Millennial Dialogue: Xenia Dandridge
May 14, 2018
Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you?
What are the challenges to good communication between generations?
What do you think older generations don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?
Using stereotypes is lazy.
I’ve heard the stereotype that millennials can’t take criticism and are too sensitive. Giving and receiving feedback are skills that can be developed through practice. I’ve met boomers and millennials who are terrible at this and others who have worked hard to hone these skills.
In an effort to prove millennials are lazy and entitled, I’ve also heard older generations compare the situations they grew up in to the situations millennials are faced with today. Just like every generation, millennials are faced with a new array of challenges and opportunities than the generation that came before them.
I wonder how much of the conversation about millennial stereotypes can be attributed to age-related differences rather than generational differences. It seems like every generation is critical of the generation that comes after them.
Where do you get your news?
The New York Times and CBC radio. I also subscribe to email news briefings about work related topics.
What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work?
At work, I find face to face to be the most effective. That being said, a lot of time can be wasted in meetings that aren’t facilitated or well organized. I usually find it helpful to follow up in writing after a face to face interaction to make sure everyone is on the same page.
At home, I prefer face to face but sometimes a text or phone call is easiest when we're all so busy. I also use FaceTime to connect with friends who live abroad.
What is your biggest pet peeve when in a group discussion with many generations?
When the loudest or most senior voice dominates. Meetings are often structured for extroverts and are not always the most effective way to generate the best ideas. I’ve seen some incredibly thoughtful ideas come up after a meeting in a follow-up email. People should be encouraged to share their perspectives in a way that works well for them.
What communications advice has helped you?
· Focus on being interested rather than interesting.
· Develop curiosity in difficult situations.
· Test your beliefs and assumptions. If you discover that your ideas are wrong, move on.
Do you have good communication skills? And, why or why not?
From a personal perspective
What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show?
Books I'm currently reading:
Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Rennie Eddo-Loge (I don’t often read books twice, but this one is so good that I’ve picked it up again)
21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality by Bob Joseph
Going to Meet the Man by James Baldwin
I’m guilty of binge watching chef shows (Ugly Delicious, Chef’s Table) and stand-up specials on Netflix.
What do you do for extracurricular activities?
What are the most important social issues to you?
Racial and gender discrimination. It’s frightening that there are people who don’t believe these types of discrimination are real. These are not issues of the past. It’s time to pay attention.
What technology do you like best for communicating?
What is something you want to learn more about?
What bores you?
Financial discussions.
Repetition can also drive me crazy but I’m trying to embrace the meditative quality of doing the same thing over and over again (thanks yoga).
What makes you laugh?
_____
Xenia's point about people making an exception for millennials they know happens with me as well. I expect the same thinking applies to racial stereotypes and pops up when people are expressing unconsciously biased perspectives. Comments like "All lawyers are rotten, except mine, all politicians are crooks, except the one I know, all millennials are entitled, except the one I work with, etc." Absolutes and generalizations can be dangerous as they form so quickly in our brains. Judith Glaser, author of Conversational Intelligence says we make judgements about people in .07 seconds.
Thank you Xenia for reinforcing the need to nix stereotypes. I have worked with this amazing woman for the past 8 years and she blows every stereotype out of the water.


0 comments