The Millennial Dialogue: Mhairi Simpson

May 22, 2018




Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you?

We live in a world that is obsessed with categorization and labels. We walk down the street, and our brain is wired to instantly compartmentalize individuals based on a number of variables. How one looks, the clothes they wear, the way they carry themselves. All generations are guilty of this, and even I find myself labeling those I come across daily. I find the term millennial a complex category that is used to aid this categorization. It goes beyond labeling those who encompass generations Y and X, and the term imposes a wide variety of characteristics and connotations upon those born in this time frame. Most of these narratives surrounding millennials are not the most positive. That being said, I do describe myself as a millennial, and would like to break the stigma that other generations hold regarding millennials. 

What are the challenges to good communication between generations? 

As a mosaic nation, we have a wide variety of generations and cultures living in Canada who all have different ideas in regards to what makes good communication. As the digital age progresses, we have moved away from ‘offline’ forms of communication to ‘online’ methods. This technology barrier between millennial and other preceding generations is a challenge when conversing. Millennials have taken to mediums such as the Internet, social networking sites and texting as forms of communication, where as other generations are still struggling to adapt. Some are also unwilling to change with the times causing a further divide and stigma towards millennials. Not only has this shift to digital technology alienated different generations, but it has also sparked stereotypes and biases within these generations. It impacts the way that millennials are seen, and how millennials see other generations. These barriers and biases hinder positive and good communication.

What do you think older generations don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?

There are many things about younger generations that I believe older generations do not understand. Millennials are being labeled as lazy, rude and that we are incapable of ‘turning off’ technology to communicate. I also believe that a lot of older generations see millennials or younger generations as not being avid and good communicators. They may think that just because we take to technology to live our personal and professional lives, that we really are not working and bettering ourselves. I think this is a gross misunderstanding. Millennials can actually be extremely effective communicators. Not only can we converse in fast paced online forums, we also have the ability to hold face to face conversations as well. We understand surroundings and are able to adapt to different forms of communication for different social situations. This is important not just for our personal lives as family and friends are geologically spread out, but it is also important for businesses to be able to communicate across time and space. As the business and digital world are constantly shifting, these ‘new’ forms of digital communication are not impeding our ability to converse, but instead helping it. 

Where do you get your news? 

I get my news from a variety of mediums. Primarily, I read receive news from online articles or videos from the Huffington Post and CBC. There is the occasional time, where I have the ability to watch the news on TV or even from a magazine. It is very rare that I read the news from offline sources. 

What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work? 

I think there is a time, space and place for each type of communication based on the nature of the interaction. At work, which is a primarily online environment, using online technologies such as the internet, email and video conferencing is a necessity for business life. As a nation wide Canadian retailer, we need to be able to connect with all our members and co workers. Traditional online mediums such as physical mail or face to face meetings do not always allow for this. 

When I am at home, visiting friends or family, I always make sure to ‘turn off’ and enjoy the presence of those around me. It is very rare that I will be on my phone, as I enjoy those in person organic interactions in my personal life.

What is your biggest pet peeve when in a group discussion with many generations? 

Something that I find hard to handle when conversing with a wide age range of individuals, is people who are unable to be open minded. It is very easy to think that our personal values, habits and way of life is the best, but in actuality we should all take the time to listen and respect others opinions. Just because someone has twenty five more years of life experience under their belt, does not mean that my options and values should be discounted. 

What communications advice has helped you?

A key piece of communications advice that has been extremely helpful in my professional and personal worlds, is that language is powerful. If used properly, language can be used to break barriers and foster healthy dialogue and communication between generations. 

Do you have good communication skills? And, why or why not?

I do strongly believe that I am a great communicator who is constantly looking for ways to hone and adapt my communication skills. My theoretical and technical background in communications, is founded on my bachelor degree from Carleton University. It was here, that I learned how the media, social media and new digital technologies have completely changed the world in regards to communication. This understanding coupled with growing up in the digital age, had deepened my communication skills. Not only am I able to converse in ‘off line’ environments such as face to face conversations, but I am also able to communicate in a host of ‘online’ environments. This ability to communicate in a wide variety of environments with a multitude of technologies, has allowed myself to adapt good communication skills. 

From a personal perspective

What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show? 

A book that I recently read was the memoir by Melissa Fung “Under an Afghan Sky”. One of my all time favourite TV shows on Netflix is Shameless. 

What do you do for extracurricular activities? 

When I am not spending time with my family and friends, you can find my partner an I in the mountains. I love to snowshoe or hike depending on the season, and I will usually take my two dogs along for the adventure. I also participate on a committee at the Canadian Mental Health Association. The premise of our committee, is to challenge the language that is being used to describe those who are living with mental health conditions and accessing services in the community. 

Who do you admire for the way they live their life? 

Someone who I admire for the way they live their life is my Oma. Moving to Canada in her early twenties from post-war Holland, my Oma has always lived her life with such wisdom and grace. She is one of the strongest people I know, and I have always considered her a role model. My Oma is always giving back to her community but putting others first and spreading kindness and love to everyone she comes into contact with. She never expresses personal or societal biases or stereotypes, and is always actively listening to people and their opinions, values and stories. I have never felt put down or dismissed when conversing with my Oma, as she is a very open minded individual who always knows just what to say. The advice and wisdom she imparts on my life has been extremely influential in my child rearing years, and I wish that I could be half the role model she has been to me to someone in my life. 

What are the most important social issues to you?

One of the most important social issues to me is Mental Health Rights. There are so many biases, stigmas and stereotypes circulating in society and institutions, that I have become very passionate about changing language and ending stigma in this community. As a person living with lived experience, I have started my own photography mental health blog called “Unapologetically Me”, which I have used as an outlet for myself to explain my journey, but also to allow individuals who read my content to have a more in-depth idea of what it is like to live with mental health through visuals and script. I also sit on a committee at the Canadian Mental Health Association called the Participant Family Voice Committee, where we create an inclusive space where a multitude of voices can be heard.We work through reflection and open communication to ensure that stigma in the mental health community is addressed by education and connection. We help to develop ongoing policies, programming and education at the Vancouver Fraser branch of CMHA. 

What technology do you like best for communicating?

Answering the question of what technology I like best for communicating is very difficult. I believe that the best technology for communicating is our voice coupled with devices to allow our voice to be hard across space and time. The devices that are used to communicate vary based on the environment that we are communicating in. For example, at work I prefer to use the computer as it allows me to connect with members on MECs’ social media channels. This device also adds an additional bonus of allowing us to engage internally, and externally, via email. That being said, often with written text, meaning and intent can get lost in translation. In environments where clear messages should or need tone communicated, and face to face interaction is not viable, the telephone is the best electronic technology to use. 

What bores you?

I never get bored. I always find ways to keep myself entertained and engaged.

Where do you volunteer your time and money?

I volunteer at the Canadian Mental Health Association, as I am an active member of the Participant Family Voice Committee. I also try to donate money to organizations that I am passionate about. Instead of giving my family gifts for Christmas, I now donate a monetary contribution on their behalf. In the past, I have fostered Orca whales and the financial donations are used to help create a free and safe space for marine life. Protecting wild life and standing up for animal rights has always been a passion of mine, and I try to give back to this community as much as I can.  

What makes you laugh?

Being around the people that I love makes me laugh and smile. 


_____


I hope Mhairi's candour about mental health helps my readers. We rarely know what people are truly feeling or experiencing. Check out her blog, Unapologetically Me, for more about her journey. Her story reminds me to be more thoughtful about my work and the people I meet. Doing workshops and facilitating means interacting with lots of people I have never met before. While I feel I am sensitive to moods and feelings of individuals, I rarely get to know their personal challenges in a meaningful way. Mhairi and others in this series have discussed the importance of caring for their mental health and sharing their experiences. Their openness helps reduce the stigmas. I applaud them. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments