The Millennial Dialogue: Cheri Chapple

March 12, 2018


Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you? 

No, I generally do not describe myself as a millennial. I feel like the term millennial has a negative association with it in terms of a generation that is lazy, entitled and unwilling to work hard.    

What are the challenges to good communication between generations?

Although considered a millennial myself, I find I have a hard time understanding the lack of boundaries with this younger generation. I have employed a few mid teens – early twenty something’s, and I find that they are unable to communicate face to face with anyone when they have a problem. Most if not all of their communication is typically done either via text message or through email. I have had several situations where employees have text messaged me at midnight for a non emergency reason, and have little boundaries around what is and is not appropriate times to communicate.    

What do you think older generations today don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?

I think there is a hard time in understanding why so many young people would prefer to communicate via email & text message instead of face to face. That all young people are lazy, entitled, self absorbed and unwilling to work hard for success.    

Where do you get your news? 

Electronic news media, newspaper websites etc. usually triggered visual through Facebook, or headlines on my cell phone with links to the articles. 

What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work and at home? 

At work I find it easiest to communicate with people through email and direct message as it can often be challenging to get everyone the same information in a timely fashion as we often work opposing hours. At home, I prefer to talk with people face to face, but also enjoy text message.  

What is your biggest pet peeve in a group discussion/meeting with many generations? 

Lack of respect from every group to the other. Young people don’t want to value the experience and expertise of the older generations, and the older generations often discredit the value behind the innovation and modern ideas of younger people. 

What communications advice has helped you?

To be as direct as possible while always taking time in advance (when possible) to see things from all perspectives.    

Do you think you have good communication skills? And, why or why not? 

I think when I need to I am able to communicate effectively, however I would say that I typically dislike confrontation, so I often chose the path in which I say nothing, until small aggravations add up and I end up needing to say something. 

From a personal perspective

What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show? 

Book: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. TV/Netflix Show: This is Us    

What do you do for extracurricular activities? 

I am a bit of a work-a-holic and introvert, so I often would prefer to be alone than socialize in large groups of people. Reading.    

Who do you admire for the way they live their life? 

I admire Ellen Degereres because of her warm, caring, giving personality and the way she wants to make as many lives better as she can. 

What are the most important social issues to you?

I would say healthcare and education. I have seen first hand how the cutbacks to these areas are truly effecting the quality of care that health providers are able to give their patients. I fear that our current model of education is not adequately preparing kids for the real world.

What technology do you like best for communicating?

Text message. 

How do you feel about the education system? 

I fear that our current model of education is not adequately preparing kids for the real world. They seem to have extensive theoretical knowledge and such little ability for collaboration and practical application.     

What is something you want to learn more about? 

Business marketing. 

What bores you? 

Paperwork/accounting. 

Where do you volunteer your time and money? 

I donate financially to world vision, but make little time nor effort for volunteering and that makes me sad. I grew up in Girl Guiding and was a leader when I was younger. I find that I work so much I have little time for my personal life.    

_____


I find most people are with Cheri when it comes to confrontation. Perhaps we need to reframe that concept. A friend of mine has been doing workshops around the book Radical Candor: Be a kick ass boss without losing your humanity by Kim Scott. I know, from experience, it is not always easy to be radically candid but I also know how unhealthy it is to let things build up. Thanks to Cheri for sharing that communications challenge and for busting more millennial myths. She works so much, she does not have time to volunteer. I wonder where that laziness myth started.

You Might Also Like

0 comments