The Millennial Dialogue: Kendra Moore

February 19, 2018


Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you? 

I am definitely seen as a millennial more than I self-identify as one. However, my viewpoint as a millennial would be that of idealism. Millennials are a vibrant, passionate force striving to be involved in the action and change across current issues.

What are the challenges to good communication between generations? 

At times, respect. Those of the younger generation may want to focus on trying something new, using new mechanisms or technologies, whereas older generations have the experience that guides and confirms their decision-making. A good idea is a good idea, and it is worth listening to everyone, whether there is a generational gap or difference in expertise. Diversity of perspectives is a great asset.

What do you think older generations don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why? 

What makes it hard for me to accept the millennial label is the associated connotations of laziness and entitlement. I work very hard and believe I’m not the only one. Entitlement is sometimes ignorance of how the world works, but I think this mentality is derived from our parents teaching us to “shoot for the stars”, not settling for the common. Perhaps, a strong drive to achieve more is confused for a sense of entitlement. It seems that every new generation is thought to be less hard working and more privileged than the last, so are millennials really any different?

Where do you get your news? 

I subscribe to email news briefings, including the New York Times and CBC. For work, I have many google alerts to remain informed of marine animal emergencies. I also follow various local social media accounts that provide regional updates.

What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work? 

I find that face to face meetings are the most effective and meaningful for work and personally. However, as I work for a national ENGO, I am dependent on various forms of communication tools and platforms, especially emailing, teleconferencing services, WebEX and Skype. I’m a big fan of Viber for international calling and sending messages to friends and family abroad.

What are the things organizations do well or could do better when it comes to communicating with you?

Social media has enabled all sorts of organizations to communicate more widely and more frequently. However, there are many drawbacks to using these platforms, such as confirmation bias. I think all organizations would benefit from increased transparency. I think that millennials demand transparency more than any other generation. As a teaching assistant for a university, I’ve noticed students asking more and more questions about how and why they are evaluated the way they are; beyond the traditional question of why they received a grade, but how it was determined.

What is your biggest pet peeve in a group discussion/meeting with many generations? 

When the meeting does not have a facilitator. I feel that the best facilitators encourage all participants to contribute, including allowing space for others to speak and avoiding the domination of one voice, and ensures that the meeting follows the agenda and is productive.

What communications advice has helped you?

Be confident in what you have to say and be humble when you don’t know the answer. “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”- Unknown

Do you think you have good communication skills? And, why or why not? 

Communication skills are a broad pool of characteristics. I feel I have grown as a communicator, but am still honing these skills. Although I still struggle to stay true to this advice, being simple and clear in what I am are trying to say is the ultimate goal for me right now.

From a personal perspective

What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show? 


I am currently reading Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly. I am thankful to my book club for ensuring I am always reading, as well as choosing books I would never pick to read myself. I’m a fan of Black Mirror and am currently watching the new season on Netflix.

What do you for extracurricular activities? 

I love to explore the outdoors, do yoga, and attend and host meals with my friends and family.

How do you feel about the education system? 

On the one hand, I’ve been in school for the large majority of my life, only completing my Masters a year ago. I wouldn’t be in my current position without my education. On the other hand, I feel that Canada’s education system can stand to improve and has many problems, such as accessibility, cost and quality. Despite these issues, the interactions I have had with teachers and professors have had profound effects on my career and how I view the world.

What is something you want to learn more about? 

I love to learn! I’m currently trying to learn more about marketing for its applications within my current job.

What bores you? 

Repetition. 

Where do you volunteer your time and money? 

I donate money to podcasts, and I volunteer for an organization in Halifax called the Mobile Food Market that addresses food security issues by hosting mobile and pop-up markets of fresh and affordable produce.

_____

"Diversity of perspectives is a great asset" - no truer words said - thank you Kendra. It is sad to think people feel their ideas are not valued. Of course, experience is often an asset (not always) but fresh perspectives can bring huge value to any organization. I spent most of my career, when working for others, fighting to get my ideas heard. As Kendra said, she loves to learn - when did those with tenure stop embracing learning, especially from those younger than them? I challenge all my boomer readers to go seek out a millennial to get their opinion on something important and see what happens. As Kendra says, a good idea is a good idea and it is worth listening to everyone.

You Might Also Like

0 comments