The Millennial Dialogue: Joseph Tootoosis
February 26, 2018
Do you describe yourself as a millennial? What does millennial mean to you?
The funny thing is, I did not know what the term meant until I was in a class in my EMBA program a few months ago, being the youngest member of my cohort; I was familiar with the term, but kind of assumed it was my little brothers’ generation or age group. I don’t really think I describe myself as that, I don’t know how I could link my identity to a term I had no relation with until a few months ago. I think everyone is different, and I know that I have put a lot of miles on my soul at this young age; I am fortunate enough to have had the experiences and relationships I have had so far in life, and I have faith that my best days are ahead of me, not behind me.
What are the challenges to good communication between generations?
I think good communication is always going to come from openness, listening, and learning. I am guilty of making assumptions myself, which I am trying to be more aware of. I have a little brother that is 14 years younger than me, and I learn things from young people his age that give me insights into their generation. I think in society we highlight each generation’s faults, but I think there are a lot of strengths we can build on, while recognizing that we stand on the shoulders of the ones who came before us. Being a young First Nations man, it is front and centre in my mind to always be thankful for the generations who came before me and made it possible for me to have the opportunities I have today. I hope that I can continue that tradition for the ones who come after me.
What do you think older generations today don't understand about younger generations? What stereotypes do you not like and why?
Where do you get your news?
What communication tools/environments do you find most effective at work and at home?
For me at work its always been an effective calendar sharing system; I think it comes with the territory though, I have been in very busy positions with lots of travelling for a few years now. I prefer face to face though, but working in a political landscape with busy schedules its hard to always do. I try to do readings on what makes effective leaders and CEO's and heard from some of them that they don't like meetings unless there are actually results coming out of there as a result---which makes sense to me. I'm a people person though and I like personal interactions.
What are the things organizations do well or could do better when it comes to communicating with you?
What is your biggest pet peeve when in group discussion/meeting with many generations?
Dominating the conversation, lack of respect, and lack of humility, it doesn’t matter what the person’s age. I try my best to always treat everyone with the same respect, but in saying that, my parents, grandparents and great grandparents taught me to always treat elders with more respect because of our Cree cultural values; that also means non-Indigenous elders. I was taught to always treat my elders like I would my mother and father. In conversation, I would not cut them off, be blatantly rude, or dominate a conversation without asking for advice. I realize how rare this is nowadays among my generation. I think the reason why I go back to the values I was taught growing up are because I lost many of the loved ones in my life who were mentors and teachers to me, so I better appreciate the ones that I still have like my mother, my uncles, aunts, and my grampas; it is always ironic how we don’t properly value and respect what we have until we realize it can be taken away so easily So, in saying all of that, it bothers me when we do not give our elders the chance to speak, that is where wisdom and experience can teach us younger people if we just listen.
Do you think you have good communication skills? And, why or why not?
I think that I do. Over the last few years I have done a lot of public speaking on a number of different levels, from university guest lectures, conferences, and in Ottawa to the federal government on First Nations community planning initiatives. I think I am a decent writer. I was an English tutor in university, and it was my best mark during my undergraduate studies. That itself does not make a good writer, but I have been told I am good storyteller; in saying all of that, I think listening is the greater of the two between listening and speaking when it comes to communication. It was Plato who said, "Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something."
From a personal perspective
What book have you read recently? What is a favourite TV/Netflix show?
I have had to read a lot lately. Being in an Executive Masters of Business Administration can be taxing, so any readings that are outside of school for me are things I want to be useful and to enrich my soul. Most people don't realize this about me, but I read my bible on a regular basis and listen to it on my phone when I am out walking around town. I like philosophy. I have the Art of War, the Iliad, and a few other similar readings on my phone and iBooks; I also have Avengers and Spiderman comics on my iBooks, so I indulge in those haha…
My favorite TV/Netflix show of all time is so hard to pick; it is a toss up between Friends and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I love Friends because I watched it every day after school, and it was relatable and hilarious---even more so now that I am in my late 20's and finding my way in the big city like them. BUT I have to pick Fresh Prince; It is so relatable to me on a number of levels. Uncle Phil reminds me of my late father, who was a prominent lawyer here in our home province of Saskatchewan. Being a First Nations kid growing up, I think I was a mix of both Carlton and Will’s character hahaha. It also teaches good values, has great humour, and is definitely relatable to my family and I; it can hit you with jokes to make you laugh after a hard day’s work, and also make you cry when they hit you with some life lessons that make you consider your own life, and the problems we face as a society. It’s great--- go check it out. Will Smith---need I say more?
What do you do for extracurricular activities?
Me and some of my colleagues around my age are trying to start up a basket ball team, hockey team, and maybe organize a golf tournament or something similar. I used to Snowboard and skateboard, so I am trying to get back into those now that I live back in the city. I wanna get a skateboard and longboard again so I can do that to get out of the house. I also play guitar and sing; I could honestly just sit and jam by myself for hours some times. I think it is a good outlet, and my mental health is always better when I have that outlet.
Who do you admire for the way they live their life?
First and foremost my parents, my Mother and my late father. My father was my hero and still inspires me. He was my best friend, my line-mate when we played in hockey tournaments together, my training partner in the gym and cross-country trails, and my teacher. Following in his footsteps at this age now working in the First Nations political landscape is surreal for me, and it always seems like he is still helping me even though he has been gone for almost ten years. My mother has kept me loved, alive, and able to be where I am now in life these last ten years. My mother and I are very different kinds of people, but there is no way I would be where I am in life without her; she carried me when I was a baby, and carried me these last many years as well when I needed someone to love me, be there for me, and keep me from giving up.
Next are two men in my life, my Mosom (Grandpa) George Merasty, and my uncle Jerry Morin. I lost my Dad just after my 19th birthday in 2008, I have had other uncles and family members step up and be there for me through the hard times, but nothing can replace a father who was your best friend.
A close second are those two guys who have been there for me through all of my darkest times, and saw me through to be where I am today. I admire them both so much because of their life stories, where they started, their hard times, what they have been through and how good of people they still are despite all that they have been through, it speaks to the goodness of their hearts. They are the best two men that I personally know.
My Uncle Jerry has been like a father to me, taken me in, gave me a place to live, and he and my Aunty Jane treated me like their own son. I have never felt so much love from people like that other than my own parents, they literally are a second set of parents for me, and their sons are brothers to me. I couldn’t be more blessed.
My Mosom (Grandpa) has been my closest and best friend since my Dad passed. He shared so many stories with me about his life as a young man, working man, politician, husband and father, that have deepened my appreciation for the blessings in my life, and taught me that no matter where life takes you, to have faith and never give up. It is even hard for me now to be away from him, but I have faith that we will be together again soon.
Two other guys are Jordin Tootoo and Theoren Fleury, prominent Indigenous hockey players and public figures really, guys I really look up to. I met Theo in person at the Indspire Awards in Saskatoon in 2013, and he was such a nice guy. I was like Oh My God, this is the guy I watched win Gold for Canada at the Olympics with Mario Lemieux, Joe Sakic, and all the greats. Some people say never meet your heroes, because they will let you down; not the case with Theo. I had to the chance to read his book when it came out, and I could connect with his emotions, it lets a guy know he’s not the only one going through some things. I met him in person and he most likely doesn’t remember, but he was super nice, and I look forward to hopefully seeing him again. Please check out his book, it is great.
Jordin Tootoo’s book was also very inspirational for me. I used to watch him play in the WHL. Every time he and the Brandon Wheatkings came to Saskatoon my Dad got tickets and we would go watch him score goals and light people up. He also represented Canada at the World Juniors which was awesome for a kid like me to watch. My name is Tootoosis, so I wore the same number as him: 22; When I was able to read his book, I felt like I could connect with the guy. Reading about his struggles and experiences he went through back when I used to watch him, was relatable to my own life. That book, his approach to life, and everything else has been inspirational to me and helped me out more than Jordin knows. I suggest that book big time. It is so captivating that it literally took me just 2 days to read while I was in university also doing other readings haha..
Next are two men in my life, my Mosom (Grandpa) George Merasty, and my uncle Jerry Morin. I lost my Dad just after my 19th birthday in 2008, I have had other uncles and family members step up and be there for me through the hard times, but nothing can replace a father who was your best friend.
A close second are those two guys who have been there for me through all of my darkest times, and saw me through to be where I am today. I admire them both so much because of their life stories, where they started, their hard times, what they have been through and how good of people they still are despite all that they have been through, it speaks to the goodness of their hearts. They are the best two men that I personally know.
My Uncle Jerry has been like a father to me, taken me in, gave me a place to live, and he and my Aunty Jane treated me like their own son. I have never felt so much love from people like that other than my own parents, they literally are a second set of parents for me, and their sons are brothers to me. I couldn’t be more blessed.
My Mosom (Grandpa) has been my closest and best friend since my Dad passed. He shared so many stories with me about his life as a young man, working man, politician, husband and father, that have deepened my appreciation for the blessings in my life, and taught me that no matter where life takes you, to have faith and never give up. It is even hard for me now to be away from him, but I have faith that we will be together again soon.
Two other guys are Jordin Tootoo and Theoren Fleury, prominent Indigenous hockey players and public figures really, guys I really look up to. I met Theo in person at the Indspire Awards in Saskatoon in 2013, and he was such a nice guy. I was like Oh My God, this is the guy I watched win Gold for Canada at the Olympics with Mario Lemieux, Joe Sakic, and all the greats. Some people say never meet your heroes, because they will let you down; not the case with Theo. I had to the chance to read his book when it came out, and I could connect with his emotions, it lets a guy know he’s not the only one going through some things. I met him in person and he most likely doesn’t remember, but he was super nice, and I look forward to hopefully seeing him again. Please check out his book, it is great.
Jordin Tootoo’s book was also very inspirational for me. I used to watch him play in the WHL. Every time he and the Brandon Wheatkings came to Saskatoon my Dad got tickets and we would go watch him score goals and light people up. He also represented Canada at the World Juniors which was awesome for a kid like me to watch. My name is Tootoosis, so I wore the same number as him: 22; When I was able to read his book, I felt like I could connect with the guy. Reading about his struggles and experiences he went through back when I used to watch him, was relatable to my own life. That book, his approach to life, and everything else has been inspirational to me and helped me out more than Jordin knows. I suggest that book big time. It is so captivating that it literally took me just 2 days to read while I was in university also doing other readings haha..
What are the most important social issues to you?
First Nations Child Welfare Care here in Canada is the foremost in my heart and mind. I am a published research author in that area. I worked as summer student in CFS (Child and Family Services) in a number of First Nations communities in the Meadow Lake Tribal Council. I already knew the issues from my studies, but to work with those kids and youth on a daily basis and to see what they go through, how strong they are, strengthened my resolve to try to be the best version of myself possible for those kids, and to serve my communities to try and make life better for them in any way I can. Working in my community, I tried to spend time with the kids as much as I could when I had time away from work. I have a little brother 14 years younger than me, and nephews and nieces; I don’t want to imagine them ever having to go through that system. The government of Canada needs to implement the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal decision to stop discriminating against First Nations kids and give them the same support and funding that non-First Nations kids and agencies are getting. It’s honestly about damn time, and I mean for all of our kids in this country, no matter what skin colour, nationality, or religion, they deserve a fair chance in life. We can do much better. I hope the Trudeau government finally does something about this before the next election, they have not held up to most of the promises made to Indigenous people in this country. I realize political landscapes are not perfect, but let’s at least try; they deserve that.
How do you feel about the education system?
I think it is flawed, big time, but it is a holistic societal problem. There are different kinds of education, and I think it all starts at home. In wider society we publicly condemn racism, bigotry, and sexism, so why do we still face these obstacles in wider society? It is because kids learn from their parents---(or other avenues, let's not throw the parents under the bus just yet), these practices that we condemn. You wouldn’t believe the things I have heard from the mouths of teachers, police officers, hockey parents, classmates, etc.; it makes me sick to think that some day my kids might have to go through some of what I had to. I have a little brother in grade 9 and I always pray that he is in a good environment for his development as a person. There are lots of talented teachers within the system but unless the organization is sound, it’s like a first round draft pick on a failing hockey, basketball, or football team, you can make a difference, but you can only carry it so far. People have lives. I have friends and family who are teachers, and I think they are heroes; they deserve all the support we can give them.
There honestly should be more than just the educational component for becoming a teacher, there should be more ethics based courses like in the social sciences; long story short, you are working with kids and young people. How would you want your kid taught, and who would you want teaching them? I have had the absolute worst racist teachers who put me down and told me I would never be a serious student. I had one teacher who would absolutely not let me on the bus to visit the university on tour day because she said I would never go there anyways. I saw that same teacher at the mall years later when I was buying my suit for my graduation at the University of Saskatchewan.
On the other hand, I had a great English teacher who recommended me for Enriched English class, and kept me from going back into the regular stream of English in Highschool. As a First Nations kid that’s a big deal. That teacher believed in me; that made me stay in the class. It went on to be my strongest subject, reading Shakespeare, the Greek Classics, and lots of other great literature. English became my strongest subject in university as well, and it was all helped from a great teacher who believed in me. I hate to think of all those kids who do not have those kinds of teachers and fall through the cracks. I love teachers; when the system fails us, I try to believe that we have people amongst us that will step up to the plate and go to bat for our kids.
There honestly should be more than just the educational component for becoming a teacher, there should be more ethics based courses like in the social sciences; long story short, you are working with kids and young people. How would you want your kid taught, and who would you want teaching them? I have had the absolute worst racist teachers who put me down and told me I would never be a serious student. I had one teacher who would absolutely not let me on the bus to visit the university on tour day because she said I would never go there anyways. I saw that same teacher at the mall years later when I was buying my suit for my graduation at the University of Saskatchewan.
On the other hand, I had a great English teacher who recommended me for Enriched English class, and kept me from going back into the regular stream of English in Highschool. As a First Nations kid that’s a big deal. That teacher believed in me; that made me stay in the class. It went on to be my strongest subject, reading Shakespeare, the Greek Classics, and lots of other great literature. English became my strongest subject in university as well, and it was all helped from a great teacher who believed in me. I hate to think of all those kids who do not have those kinds of teachers and fall through the cracks. I love teachers; when the system fails us, I try to believe that we have people amongst us that will step up to the plate and go to bat for our kids.
What makes you laugh?
Stand up comedy is most likely to make me laugh. I know most of them are not politically correct, but it is kind of the space where people can say what everyone is thinking. Dave Chapelle’s new stand up on Netflix is really good. He is a great story teller, and he goes into the history and kind of educates you like a professor would in a lecture before he drops some good jokes on you so you get it more in the context.
Forrest Gump is my all-time favorite movie and still makes me laugh, I could watch it on repeat and not get sick of it. Same goes for Dumb and Dumber; I am pretty sure me and some of my buddies could do all the lines from those two movies while we watch it and still love it. I love Jim Carey’s work and he has a lot of movies that crack me up.
Are there any other thoughts you would like to share about communicating between generations?
Respect your elders, even if you don't agree with their views. Treat an elder with the reverence like you would a father, and love an elder like you would your mother. To my older friends I would say, don't underestimate our youth and write them off as lost causes; you have no idea what someone is capable of, only God does, so reserve your judgement, lend love and support.
Forrest Gump is my all-time favorite movie and still makes me laugh, I could watch it on repeat and not get sick of it. Same goes for Dumb and Dumber; I am pretty sure me and some of my buddies could do all the lines from those two movies while we watch it and still love it. I love Jim Carey’s work and he has a lot of movies that crack me up.
Are there any other thoughts you would like to share about communicating between generations?
Respect your elders, even if you don't agree with their views. Treat an elder with the reverence like you would a father, and love an elder like you would your mother. To my older friends I would say, don't underestimate our youth and write them off as lost causes; you have no idea what someone is capable of, only God does, so reserve your judgement, lend love and support.
My father taught me to live by the commandment to love everyone as you would yourself, the Golden Rule; That means viewing people through a different lens, using empathy. That means viewing the people you meet and see on the street as someone's mother, father, uncle, aunt, little brother, sister, grandparents, someone's baby. Just be there for those people who can't be there for their relations. You'll reap what you sew, and reap bountifully if you sew bountifully, sparingly for sparingly, so sew kindness and love for your family and loved ones for when you need someone else to be there for them when you can't be.
I always look to my Indigenous Cree Nehiyaw way of viewing our community and kinship ties. Everyone has a place, a purpose, elders, mothers and fathers, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, cousins, friends, the land, animals and environment, and the Creator gave us that to help us through life. I take that perspective with me everywhere I go and in all I do; it is part of my identity, and my communications, conversation, and relationships prosper based on my ability to relate to people, I pray the same for everyone else that reads this interview! Thanks.
_____
Joey certainly has put a lot of miles on his soul at this young age and speaks with the wisdom of someone much older. The theme of respect is woven throughout his blog post. It makes my heart ache to think of the racism he has faced. If we can all start from the perspective of respect, I feel the world would be a nicer, kinder place. I was also struck by Joey's explanation of his Indigenous Cree Nehiyaw way of viewing community and kinship ties, seeing everyone as having their place. We have much to learn from people like Joey and cultures like his. I am grateful for his candor and expect it will impact my readers in a positive way. Understanding, respect and appreciation helps us be better communicators. Check out the list of questions in this CBC article to see how you might participate in reconciliation. Thanks, Joey!


0 comments