Deconstructing with Della: My love affair

December 11, 2017


He arrives every morning before 5am. He messed up last Monday and immediately emailed an apology. I don’t hear from him again until 4pm. He is witty, clever and unendingly interesting. He rarely asks me for anything but gives me his all, every day. I can go to him anytime for a refreshing perspective on just about any topic.

He is my New York Times. I have loved this paper since my early 20's. Then, I would buy the massive Sunday edition, today I get massive info via my online subscription.

Because of the West Coast time difference, I get my morning briefing as I wake up and the evening briefing as my day is winding down. They provide links if I want more information and pull together a range of perspectives on a given story. I still do my own research but they make it so easy to see many points of view. They offer meaty newsletters on topics like #MeToo keeping me current on world issues. Their new Dealbook briefing seems like a good way to keep on top of business deals and world of finance (although, I still don’t really understand Bitcoin or Blockchain).

I have always been a media junkie, watching, listening and reading a wide range of publications and broadcast forums. I have (had) favourite journalists (damn you, Charlie Rose!) from a vast array of outlets. A lot have retired but there are still some great ones – Christianne Amanpour and Fareed Zakaria, thank you. I enjoy a few hours with my Vanity Fair as much as I do my time with the Times. I watch Fox News and read Brietbart to see those perspectives. I am a BBC and CBC fan. My Sunday mornings are spent on the bike at the gym watching media analysis on CNN’s Reliable Sources. I can scan through some 30 media outlets via my Pulse app on any given day. I read the local papers, watch local news but I always come back to the NYT. I don’t always agree with their editorials but love the range of coverage. Ahh, and, the book reviews, art coverage and videos.

I won’t give up on the media world…yet. I still believe there is a place for great journalism and people will pay for it. The online subscribers for the New York Times has gone from 67,000 in 2012 to 2.2 million today. Some say you can attribute that rise to Mr. Trump. But, that is my point. If people get frustrated enough by fake news and sloppy online reporting maybe the pendulum will swing back and people will want more credible sources. And, be willing to pay for it.

Thank you New York Times for figuring out how to keep us happy in an online environment. I feel I get my monies worth every day. Our relationship is solid. I trust they do the background checks and work required.


To deconstruct: Think about your news sources and what is informing you. Do you trust and love them?

You Might Also Like

0 comments