Deconstructing with Della: The Future of Presenting

October 09, 2017

Michael Jackson Hologram at 2014 Billboard Music Awards 

Our global clients spend a lot of time using technology to communicate. Rarely are they all in one room together. For them, presenting is more than in-person meetings or being on stage. Today, it is more likely to be a webinar or Skype style presentation where a great connection with the audience is challenging. As my work colleague Xenia says, she is busy doing other things while attending online events. I confess to multi-tasking my way through these types of presentations as well. It is unlikely I would give 100% of my attention, especially when the speaker cannot see me. It is difficult to connect to an inanimate object like a computer screen.

While video conferencing is getting better, I am still waiting for hologram technology to catch up and become affordable in the business world. I would love nothing more than to send my avatar to long distance gigs to avoid the hassle of travel. I think that future is almost here. When I see ABBA planning a world tour via hologram, I am hopeful.  

As we know, up until now hologram events like this have been reserved for those who have died (Tupac and Michael Jackson) and have not seemed to catch on in the mainstream. Perhaps seeing people who have passed creeps us out. But, real people who can communicate via their hologram and make it feel like they are in the room could be a whole different experience.

I know there are people working on a business version of the technology. The key will be seamless interactions. If we can FaceTime with ease, why not make presentations and interact through our digital double? Imagine the travel savings for corporations and decrease in emissions from airplanes. Imagine the lack of wear and tear on your body as you sit in comfort, controlling your avatar.

I expect people will be reluctant to give up face-to-face communications readily. Not moi. As long as it feels like face to face, I am in. If I can accomplish the same results and not waste hours sitting in airports, on planes and in lonely hotel rooms, I will be first in line.

To deconstruct: I believe the hologram future is coming. Will you be an early adopter and get measured for your avatar body or head for the hills?  

You Might Also Like

0 comments