Deconstructing with Della: Author's Got Talent
May 08, 2017![]() |
| Can you take the critique? |
I attended the Seattle Writer's conference last weekend. 225 writers of all ages and areas of interest. Pretty much every genre was represented from mystery to horror to gardening how-to and everything in-between. Without a doubt, the aspiring poets, novelists and the few non fiction experts at this one day event want to see their work in print or online.
Aside from the 10 minute pitches with agents, one of the most intriguing workshops was the "Author's Got Talent" speed critiques. Authors submit eleven copies of their first page anonymously in the hope it gets presented to a panel of 10 agents who give their opinion on the piece. The stack of submissions is about a foot high. They stack and re stack them like a deck of cards and start reading each one out loud. If five agents raise their hand, they stop reading. Eek. Then, they critique.
I am at this event with my sister, who has submitted the one page from her sci-fi novel. I am blown away by her bravery. She said she feels it is a great way to learn and has done these exercises before. I want to puke. My heart pounds throughout the 75 minutes of reading and critiques. She tells me not to show any emotion if hers is selected. I hope I can honour her. I have always admired my sis but in this moment she goes way up in my estimation. She has no pride of authorship and is so eager to learn.
As each paper is read out and the agents hands go up, I can feel the nervous tension in the audience. The guy in front of me is visibly shaking. Why do these people put themselves out there? Maybe they self assess high but perhaps they are like my sibling and want to get better. The critiques are thoughtful but candid... too much description, no emotional connection to the character, don't start with dreams, stop explaining just drop us into the story.... my head is swirling. I am so glad my book is non fiction, I could not handle this pressure. However, I was impressed with how quickly the agents nail the problem and offer great suggestions. I am not sure how many we heard, probably 30 or more.
What a concept. Imagine if our everyday communication was evaluated this way. Staff who could vote on employer emails, public who could raise their hands and stop public officials mid speech, students who could make a prof stop pontificating, how would that change our communication habits?
Raised hands to make people stop and think about their communication is worth considering.
To deconstruct, next time you have the floor think about asking your audience to raise their hands when they want you to stop... have you got the nerve? I am not sure I do but will keep it in mind from now on.
By the way, my sister's page never made it to the top of the massive pile of papers. She seemed a bit disappointed. I was relieved. As much as I think she is a great writer, the thought of knowing it was her page would have made me lose it. Either I would be jumping up and giving high fives if her words made it without a hand raised or I would have booed the agents who dared put up a pinkie.
I am not sure I am cut out for this book business but will keep slogging my way through it... right behind my talented and fearless sister.

0 comments