Deconstructing with Della: Simply Smart
March 20, 2017![]() |
| Wealthsimple's Money Diaries - "Interesting people talking candidly about money" |
As each
generation becomes a more powerful economic and societal driver,
communicators work hard to find ways to connect with them. That is why millennials have been analyzed
ad nauseam. It can be entertaining to watch some advertisers try to be resonate with
this group and flop. Think bad use of emojis, hashtags and inauthentic social
causes.
I don’t
profess to have an inside track on what appeals to this group and have never
been a fan of generalizing about any demographic. However, I am intrigued by
how the company, Wealthsimple communicates. They caught my interest with a
highly amusing and frank story about personal finances by famed chef and gritty
travel guru, Anthony Bourdain. I seldom click on financial success
stories as the topic rarely holds my interest. In classic Mr. Bourdain style,
his story is raw, inspiring and funny.
Since
Wealthsimple was the host of the article, I was intrigued. First, their website is one of the most contemporary and user friendly I have seen. Their
content grabs even the most disinterested investor (moi), it is simple, yet
provocative.
To
deconstruct: They have a magazine of “money diaries” of interesting people.
Headlines such as Comedian Maria Bamford Wants You to Know Exactly How Much She Makes and One Indie Musician on Why Indie Musicians Should Stop Worrying So Much about Selling Out are
bound to get a click. Their HowTo section draws you in with a contention like How to Invest in Legos and Make a Bazillion Dollars. The articles make salient points about investing that make you think
about your own portfolio. Even their rationale for buying a Superbowl ad in
Canada comes with a teachable moment.
The style of writing is
personable and relatable…and not just for millennials. It may not appeal to a
staunch conservative financial type but has cache to those of us who yearn
for someone who can talk about money without boring or intimidating us.
It might help that Wealthsimple’s CEO is 29 and the company execs are from the tech sector. I have not
researched their corporate success in detail but they look pretty good and have
just launched in the US of A.
No matter how the company progresses, I think we can all take lessons from them on communication.
Clean, simple and direct.
Clean, simple and direct.

0 comments