Number 44 of 52 Lifelong Communication Lessons: Speaking to many

November 02, 2015

Life Magazine featuring Elizabeth Carr, November 1982

The year was 1981. 

Princess Charles and Princess Diana are married. IBM introduces its first personal computer and the first American test-tube baby is born. Terry Fox dies at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster and the first annual Terry Fox run takes place.


Public speaking was a prerequisite for my job at the Heart Foundation. I had taken a few courses and was getting tons of practice. Small (10 - 30) to mid size (50 - 100) were the norm. I was constantly learning what worked, what did not and had experienced a number of pitfalls. I was confident with groups I knew and passionate about my subject. Then, I was asked to speak to a much larger group.

For the life of me I cannot recall the audience or specifics of the speech. All I can remember is how nervous I felt. So nervous, I decided to take a Valium. No wonder I cannot conjure up the details. I could barely remember standing on the stage with all those eyes on me. I am positive it was a bad presentation but thankfully, my memory banks have erased it completely.

Since those early days, I have researched and studied ways to avoid that "Big Audience Freak Out" mode. As we do workshops and coach people to prepare for such sessions we delve into why we panic at the thought of large crowds and how to overcome our fears.

We know the many reasons people fear public speaking and which ones escalate as the audience numbers increase. The imposter syndrome is one. The negative Nelly in our heads starts railing questions at us. What makes me an expert? What if someone challenges my presentation? What if I make a big mistake? What if I choke?

Whoa, Nelly. I am pretty sure this is what happened to me. I was young and felt unworthy of being on the big stage. I have since learned how to turn around horrible self talk and focus on positive reinforcement about my messages and the value I can bring. I have learned not everyone will love what you have to say and this is okay. I do my homework and feel prepared for just about anything anyone can throw my way. I have also learned the audience is usually with you. They don't want to see you bomb. They came to learn something new.

Another trick I have picked up along the way is to make sure you have stood on the stage and looked out to the audience before you speak. People tend to choke when they get their first glimpse of the many faces staring back.

There are many reasons people worry about large encounters but there are also many antidotes. You just have to find the right one for you.

Overthinking and dramatizing can also create havoc in your head. So what if there are five hundred or five thousand people awaiting your words of wisdom, you can only see the first hundred or so anyway. And, you should prepare as much for ten as you would for 10,000. Respecting your audience and their time is paramount to a good presentation.

I have great empathy for the participants in our training workshops. I know they get the jitters so we create safe environments. Public speaking can be tons of fun, advance your career, get your ideas heard and genuinely help others.

Embrace the podium, it can change your life.

Communication lessons:

1. Work at presenting so your good ideas get heard.

2. Don't let size matter.

3. Drugs are not a solution to fear. They only result in lost time that you never get back.

Fast Forward to 2015:

Maysoon Zayid does not want to be known for being an inspirational speaker but she is one. Try to find 15 minutes in your day to hear her TED talk and listen to her interview on CBC radio from last week. You will know you can be a great public speaker. Yes, you can, can.

You Might Also Like

0 comments