Number 38 of 52 Lifelong Communication Lessons: Skits to connect

September 21, 2015

Looting in NYC during 1977 blackout, image: The New York Times
The year was 1977.  

The New York City blackout lasts 25 hours and results in looting and chaos. Elvis Presley dies at age 42 and the TV mini series "Roots" airs on ABC. Locally, Terry Fox loses his leg to osteogenic sarcoma and commits to running across Canada to raise money for cancer research. 

I was working at the Heart Foundation. As a not-for-profit we did everything on a shoestring. There were minimal budgets for anything beyond the essentials. Volunteers made the entire operation economically viable. Good communication with the fundraisers was essential, as was having a good time.

The woman in charge of all the volunteers was a delightfully down to earth woman named Mabel. She could cajole just about anyone into donating time or money. Every year we held a conference to give these folks from around the province training and to show our appreciation for their good work. Mabel had all of us working the conference. They were her people and we were the purveyors of appreciation. They came from all over - small towns, island communities and northern cities.

In the evening, we became the entertainment. Much like an all inclusive resort, the staff had the added role of making them laugh.

Skits and humour can be a great way to connect to an audience - probably much better if your entertainers are professionals. We were definitely rank amateurs. We would parody popular ads of the day, lip sync to funny songs and generally make bloody fools of ourselves.

I still chuckle when I think back on those events. It was almost more fun because we all knew each other well and could let our hair down. I even recall one quite prominent scientist donning tights and a garter. I haven't the foggiest recollection about the skit, only the image of black fishnet stockings on the man. I remember late night rehearsals where we would laugh until we cried and our cheeks ached.

It was definitely a thing of its time. The Foundation had a down home feel and we got away with things that might never be considered today. Or, would they? 

In my parents era, they had to entertain with homespun plays and family sing-alongs. There was no television or internet to dominate their time.

I don't want to turn the clock back but I do think we create strong bonds over a good laugh and some self-deprecatory humour. Communication comes in many forms and at times we all crave a little lighthearted silliness. I still want to laugh until my stomach hurts.

Anybody for a game of charades?

Communication Lessons:

- Lighthearted fun can close gaps between people of all ages, localities and education.

- Sometimes having no budget makes people more creative.


- Acting can be a wonderful way to communicate.

Fast Forward to 2015:

When I see the popularity of the Jimmy Fallon late night talk show, it makes me wonder if we don't yearn for a little more silliness and fun in a world full of breaking news about tragedy and despair.

You Might Also Like

0 comments