Number 30 of 52 Lifelong Communication Lessons: Getting taken
July 27, 2015![]() |
| Emily Carr in her studio, with 'Sunshine and Tumult', c.1939 Photograph by Harold Mortimer-Lamb British Columbia Archives D-06009 |
The year was 1983.
Sally Ride, at age 32, becomes the first American woman in space and 125 million viewers tune in to watch the final episode of M*A*S*H. Locally, the Vancouver Art Gallery moves into the former provincial courthouse and purchases it's first Emily Carr painting. The gallery previously declined buying Carr's paintings because as Anthony Robbins wrote, "It wasn't art, as they understood art". The gallery now holds the world's largest collection of her paintings.
I was working in an advertising agency getting a full-on lesson in the ways of the business world. A person who was in a position of power asked me if I wanted to buy some seed stocks. I had never heard the term let alone purchased any kind of stocks. He smoothly convinced me I was getting in on a good deal and the returns could be plentiful.
I was a tad skeptical but felt pressured to hand over my $1,000. It was a tidy sum for me at the time but I thought this person had my best interests at heart. He was financially successful and I trusted he would not involve me unless there was a good chance to get a return on my investment. Wrongo. It was barely two weeks later he advised me the project did not work out and my thousand bucks was gone. Ouch. Expensive lesson for me.
I joined an investment club with a group of other young executives to try to understand this world of financial betting and quickly learned this was not for me. I worked too hard for my money to speculate on penny stocks or risky ventures. I don't mind many forms of risk-taking but just pursing the almighty dollar leaves me cold.
I was able to observe this man for many years and see how his pursuit of cash paid off. He bought stuff at garage sales at low, low prices then sold the stuff for a profit or returned it to the point of purchase. He actually charged his employees for corporate promotional items and tacked on 15% profit. He put on a good story about his beliefs if he thought it would benefit his pocketbook. He was slick and, I believe, continues to rake in the dough today.
I hear about him from time to time and no one has anything nice to say. He is always selling something and you just know the only one who will reap the rewards is him.
His Scrooge-like tendencies bothered me for a while. Then, I started to see how poor he was. The poverty of a lack of real friends and the disdain of business associates makes him a sad case.
This man also could be insensitively rude, condescending and derogatory about people we knew in common. I have walked across the street and moved to the other side of the room at business events to avoid him.
While his words would not impact me today, I really don't need that negativity in my life.
When values don't mesh, there is no real opportunity for a good connection. Sometimes it is good to just walk away.
Communication Lessons:
- The old adage "If something is too good to be true...." is an old adage for a reason. Pay heed to your spidey senses.
- Work to keep negative people at bay and ultimately out of your life.
- Stay true to your values and you will have great wealth.
Fast Forward to 2015:
Think of the Toshiba CEO's role in the recent accounting scandal.

0 comments