Number 29 of 52 Lifelong Communication Lessons: Open wide
July 20, 2015![]() |
| Harper Lee in her hometown of Monroeville, Alabama in 1961. Photo Credit: Getty |
The year was 1960.
Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird is published. The birth control pill is approved by the FDA. JFK wins the presidential election and the US announces that thousands of soldiers are going to be sent to Vietnam. Locally, St. Paul's Hospital performs its first open-heart surgery.
My first recollection of going to the dentist started that year at the age of 6. My dentist was a big man with thick black hairs on his massive fingers. Or, at least it seemed like that to me. He was nice but the experience was always a bit traumatic. I had more than my share of cavities and the sound of that dusty drill made my heart pound.
I loved the little rewards of erasers or other trinkets in the long skinny bottom drawer of his cabinet. Once he gave me a heart shaped bracelet and drilled my name on it. I expect that would break some code of conduct today. After my childhood dentist retired, I tried a few others but often cancelled or left swearing never to return. The encounters usually involved some kind of lecture or lack of compassion for a nervous patient. I wanted good teeth as they were essential to my personal and professional life but my dread of the dental chair continued to grow.
I decided to embrace my vulnerability and share my concerns with a new dentist. We discussed a plan and process that would work for me. I could get freezing without the adrenaline enhancing feature. It would wear off faster but my heart would not pump like a scared rabbit. I did not have to wear the rubber dam if I was okay swishing out the gritty bits and slurping on the water hose. I could get my old silver fillings replaced slowly and take Ativan to relax as long as there was someone to drive me home. I could watch movies or listen to music while he worked. His assistant would regularly check in to make sure I was okay.
As much as I still go reluctantly to my dental appointments, I am happy to get the kid glove treatment. You can't say much once you are in the chair. Communicating effectively with my dentist meant I had to share my vulnerable side. I have tried to overcome my fear and deconstruct the root cause. (Pun intended, as I just had a root canal) My fear is a "lack of control" issue and no matter what I do, it remains. My workaround was to communicate and find a sensitive dentist willing to work with me. I told him I was going to blog about this since I appreciate the TLC so much. He looked a bit uncomfortable but also somewhat pleased.
As my blog readers know, I believe good communication is central to a happier life. It can also enhance your smile.
Communication Lessons:
- Be frank about your fears. True professionals want to help address your concerns.
- Be grateful to the people who help you through difficult scenarios.
- Don't compromise on what you need to make your life better.
Fast Forward to 2015:
Check out this recent consumer report about getting respect from medical professionals.

0 comments