Number 13 of 52 Lifelong Communication Lessons: Mistakes are part of learning

March 30, 2015

First issue of Ms. magazine, Spring 1972

The year was 1972. 

Evil Knievel breaks 93 bones after clearing 35 cars on his motorbike, Ms. Magazine publishes its first regular issue. In Vancouver, Howard Hughes takes up residence at the Bayshore Hotel and the Girl in a Wetsuit statue in unveiled in Stanley Park. 

This was the year I was taking temporary jobs to pay the bills before heading to Europe with my backpack. The jobs were easy. Not much was expected of a temp worker and people did not invest much time in getting to know you. They knew you would be gone in a few weeks and were just filling some gap.

The one that sticks out most for me was a reception job for a company called Alco-Meter Systems International Ltd. I remember the name because it was a tongue twister that I had to practice saying to avoid messing it up. It was an investment company that was about to launch self-serve breathalyzer machines for pubs and bars.

Everyone seemed to go on holidays the day I started. They told me to make coffee once a day, answer the phones and just take messages for two weeks. I only saw one guy on one of those days. The rest of the time it was the coffee machine, the phones and me.

I was so bored. The phone never rang. I read books to pass the time. Then, finally one day a call actually came through. I fumbled and stumbled on the name. I think I was half asleep and a bit startled when I answered. Of course, it was the President of the company.

He was not impressed and I was highly embarrassed. I never did meet him in person. My contract was over and the company disbanded all in the two-week period. I also never found out what happened. There was no Internet searching at the time. I was grateful to not put that company on my resume and to not have anyone call them for a reference check.

Communication Lessons:

- Find ways to keep busy no matter what your job. Boredom makes the brain dull.
- Take a deep breath and think before you speak – particularly when you are jolted by a comment or an unexpected call.
- Be compassionate to people who make mistakes, we have all been there.

Fast Forward to 2015:

Think about those people in call centres or answer your questions/complaints for companies. I doubt they are bored but I expect they could use a little compassion, particularly when they say the wrong thing. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments