Number 5 of 52 Lifelong Communication Lessons: Problem solving with perspective and distraction

February 02, 2015

Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho Movie Poster

The year was 1960. 

Harper Lee comes out with To Kill a Mockingbird, Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho is playing in theaters and the statue of Lord Stanley is erected in Stanley park.

My first day in grade one was a tad traumatic. With no preschool or kindergarten training, I was somehow under the assumption that my Mom would be staying with me. After a mild freak out and some crocodile tears, Mom gave me her wristwatch to look at. It allowed me to track the time until I was free to go home again. 

That was the first time I remember Mom teaching me about perspective. She knew words would not console me so the watch provided a good distraction and focus... at least for a few hours. I was much happier knowing I could see the time pass and see my end goal.

Communicating to a child, particularly one in distress is a fine art.

The second time I recall learning about perspective came later that year. It was the evening before a test. I was stressing about it to mom during our bedtime chat. She calmly said it would only be one hour out of my entire life. I laid in bed that night imaging my whole life and grasped the concept fully. My test seemed to minuscule and unimportant. 

Her words play over in my head to this day. Any time I feel pressure or discomfort in a difficult situation, I immediately see it as a small piece of my overall life.

My mother had the unique ability through examples or prompts to help me think things through on my own - even at the ripe old age of six.

She used many techniques to redirect my concerns. When I complained of being cold while we were sitting at a bus stop, she taught me a special trick to stay warm. She told me how to, mentally, walk into my stomach to heat up. I like to think it was an early version of transcendental meditation but it may purely have been a crafty way to take my mind off the chilly weather. It worked. After that long journey over the tongue, down the throat, around the heart, past the lungs and finally into the innards of my belly I was toasty comfy. By the time the bus arrived, Mom and I were talking about how this trick could be applied to almost anything. The power to control our own situation was another startling revelation to me. If we could warm our bodies, imagine what else we could do. It was such a different perspective on the world. Not necessarily a good one to relay to your new found school yard chums.

The practice of not focusing on the negative, keeping perspective and turning attention to a solution have continued to play a big a part of my personal and work life. Little did we know at that time I would spend a good chunk of my career doing crisis communication.

Communication lessons: When you are in a situation where somebody is stressed, help them keep it all in perspective, not only in relation to their own life but in the scheme of all time. Distraction can sometimes be the best communication strategy.

Fast forward to 2015: Perhaps if we truly looked at issues in context, they wouldn't get blown out of perspective. Consider today's media coverage of viruses such as Ebola and the opinions presented on social media by those like Donald Trump. 

The next year we visit will be 1970.

You Might Also Like

0 comments