Reflection 6 of 52: How do you hear an opposing point of view?
February 10, 2014
When I first heard
Benjamin Bratton knock TED talks (via a TED talk), I was taken aback. What the
heck could be wrong with people sharing their ideas in this format? The San
Diego University Professor puts forward a point of view that critiques the TED format for oversimplifying complex and difficult
problems.
I have an opposite
perspective about communications generally. Providing people with information
in formats that connect and, potentially, create more dialogue, investigation
and intrigue has merit in my books. I have spent years coaching people to
present their information so it was understandable to others less versed or studied.
To me, that is preferable to no knowledge being shared.
I was stymied by Professor
Bratton’s viewpoint. Was I wrong? Have I spent my entire career trying to help people
share their expertise concisely to no avail?
Now, I could have just
discounted this man’s point of view and carried on with my opinion firmly
ensconced. But, he made me yearn for more. His provocative stance sounded quite
reasonable. I searched for additional information.
First, I wanted to know
more about Mr. Bratton so I went online to check his credentials. Impressive.
Then, I wanted to see what the folks at TED thought and read their rebuttal. I checked blogs, listened to Mr. Bratton debate his point of view on
radio interviews, went back and watched his video again.
Aha. This was exactly the
point. This man sparked something with me via a TED talk. I doubt I would have
learned about him or his take if it were not for TED. Weird. A paradox if ever
there was one.
I understand what he says about
the complex issues we face and the need for deeper forums of discussion and
review. I am just not sure where those happen other than among professionals, in universities, via structured meetings or with think tanks and special interest
groups. The average person barely has time to earn a living, walk the dog and
raise their family. If a TED talk, watched over a cup of coffee, gives them a
bit of insight or makes them ask different questions of their political,
business and society leaders that has to be of some value.
I respectfully disagree
with Benjamin Bratton but love that he made me reevaluate my point of view. He
is right that probably we won’t solve big problems in the world via TED but
ideas and knowledge are great starting points for change and new solutions.
I look forward to the 30th
anniversary TED conference being held in Vancouver. I wonder how it will impact
conversations and thinking in our city.
What do you do when you
hear an opinion vastly different from your own?

0 comments